“bad business practice”

Portland Harbor Hotel
Ranked #5 of 21 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed March 25, 2013

Perfect example as to why I should pay more attn. to reviews. My wife and I have been visiting Portland this weekend and I wish we had stayed elsewhere. I am writing this review in the hotel lobby because they couldn't give me a late checkout until 1:30 because they said they had a large group checking in this morning...since I have been sitting here, now 1:30, 2 couples have checked in! Anyway, Our first night, Sat., we were awakened by a very loud band playing across the street at about 11PM. The bass was so loud our room was actually shaking. This did not stop for several hours. When I complained the next morning, they told me they were well aware of the problem and there was nothing they could do. They did offer me another room on the garden side but I checked the nightclub and the band wouldn't be playing Sun. night so no need to move. My point is if the hotel is aware of this problem, they should alert customers to this, offer a discount for the room or free breakfast, just something to at least make up for this discomfort. Absolutely stay away from this hotel unless they guarantee you a room on the garden side.

Room Tip: don't accept a room other than on the garden side.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,507)

Reviewed March 20, 2013

Valet upon arrival very pleasant and efficient. Front desk professional. Room spacious but heating unit loud, uneven heat, room stays cold with blast of hot air every so often. This is third time staying at this hotel and this time there must have been a change of staffing. Room was not made up each day correctly: sofa bed not closed up during the day, not opened during turn down, some nights turn down didn't come, face cloth in bathroom not replaced, empty tissue box, one bar of soap. One night at 9:35 PM knock on door and maid asked if we wanted water and chocolate. That was the turn down? Slow service during breakfast (food cold), billing confusion during happy hour (delivered wrong tables each others bills), morning coffee pots empty, no cup covers and empty milk container. The bar seating area needed a good cleaning. Major dust accumulation on shelving and coffee tables in bar area. Found dirty glass left on shelf for days. Concierge needs to learn how to be professional not just act pretentious. Very disappointed.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 17, 2013

It is sometimes scary to try a hotel without a big name attached like Marriott or Hilton. Usually there is some worry that the pictures on their website were of the only 2 or 3 nice parts of the grounds right after a professional landscaper comes through.

This hotel and the people that you come in contact with are fantastic !

Hotel is really a nice mix of old world and new school. Huge winding staircase and giant chandelier in the front door, and a beautiful fireplace and comfortable sofas/chairs in the bar room. Doug at the bar is a nice gentleman who makes a great drink. He has good advice for the area too, so pick his brain.

The top of this list is Albert. He checked us in and was at the Valet desk covering for the regular guy. Lets start the story at the beginning. When we checked in my girlfriend asked about an ugrade service that she remembered we paid for. Albert didn't see it in the system though. Unfortunately, I left the paperwork in the car, which was at the Valet. We figured we would get the paperwork later after we went out. When we arrived back at the hotel, Albert was covering for the Valet for a minute. I was able to show him the detail of the hotel. He apologized and we scheduled the wine/chocolate/cheese for the following day. We then went to the bar to relax. After talking it over with my girlfriend, we realized that we didn't need it because we were going to be out all day. Albert insisted that he make amends and too our surprise, after we had retired to our room for the night, he had sent up a bottle of Prosecco and 2 glasses. OVER AND ABOVE in my mind.

The price for the hotel was incredible, as well as the New England special of buy one night, get the next for 1/2 off with a license from a New England State. But we will return because I truly believe that you pay extra for good service than anything else, and I would have because of Doug and especially Albert.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 16, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is centrally located. Staff are very courteous and helpful. My room was large with a comfortable bed and good desk. Felt like an upscale hotel. Longe area was a good setting for a late night drink with a friend.

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed March 15, 2013

This hotel has pretensions to elegance, especially in the lobby, but they'd better renovate where it counts or two new hotels going up nearby will eat their lunch. Positive points: friendly, helpful staff, nice dining room, free wifi, great location near heart of Old Port, free New York Times. On the other hand, wifi worked sporadically and slow in our room (too far from the lobby, where it worked fine). The exercise room had lots of machines but old ones (elliptical stair I was on clanked and TV didn't work), free weights and little else. My husband was at a conference there, and said meeting room chairs were very uncomfortable. Mattress was squishy, TV channel listings were inaccurate. Little things but they add up

Room Tip: If you want wifi, get a room near the lobby
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Corgipup
Reviewed March 15, 2013

I booked a room at the Portalnd Harbor Hotel on advice from a local that I was visiting. The room was beautiful. Lovely decor, spacious bathroom and comfortable looking bed. There was a mini-fridge sitting cattywampus at the foot of the bed, which I thought was odd, but no complains overall. I was able to open my window and let cool ocean air in, which I enjoyed very much. The street noise did not disturb me, but I was facing away from the street. The location is perfect as it is close to old port, shopping and many great restaurants! The free slippers and lobster shaped chocolates every day were enjoyed and the spacious bathtub was a perfet way to soothe the aches of long days of shoppping. The bed was soft and I slept like a rock.

The only problem I encountered was that I had booked an in-room massage for my stay. After not hearing from the hotel I asked the status and they had not read the booking and thus did not have the appointment set and could not get it done, which was greatly disappointing. They did refund the money quickly and apologized, but I would not try to book spa appointments while there again. The staff I met was courteous and helpful.

I would definitely stay at the Portland Harbor Hotel again.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed February 25, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in one of the jacuzzi suites. The jacuzzi easily accommodated 2 people. Very nice bathroom. Small sitting area with desk and couch next to king bed. Very comfortable room.

Great location in the middle of Old Port. Great dining and shops within easy walking distance. Fun to walk around and explore. Harbor one block away. They charge $16/night for parking but there is no where else to leave your car.

Hotel restaurant excellent - we ate breakfast and dinner there. French toast and blueberry pancakes excellent. They serve real maple syrup. Had scallops for dinner, and they were very good. Turn down service leaves chocolate lobsters on pillow!

• Stayed: February 2013