“Aging grand dame”

Ranked #3 of 19 Hotels in Portland
Newton, Massachusetts
“Aging grand dame”
Reviewed March 15, 2013

This hotel has pretensions to elegance, especially in the lobby, but they'd better renovate where it counts or two new hotels going up nearby will eat their lunch. Positive points: friendly, helpful staff, nice dining room, free wifi, great location near heart of Old Port, free New York Times. On the other hand, wifi worked sporadically and slow in our room (too far from the lobby, where it worked fine). The exercise room had lots of machines but old ones (elliptical stair I was on clanked and TV didn't work), free weights and little else. My husband was at a conference there, and said meeting room chairs were very uncomfortable. Mattress was squishy, TV channel listings were inaccurate. Little things but they add up

Room Tip: If you want wifi, get a room near the lobby
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Corgipup

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (312)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reviewed March 15, 2013

I booked a room at the Portalnd Harbor Hotel on advice from a local that I was visiting. The room was beautiful. Lovely decor, spacious bathroom and comfortable looking bed. There was a mini-fridge sitting cattywampus at the foot of the bed, which I thought was odd, but no complains overall. I was able to open my window and let cool ocean air in, which I enjoyed very much. The street noise did not disturb me, but I was facing away from the street. The location is perfect as it is close to old port, shopping and many great restaurants! The free slippers and lobster shaped chocolates every day were enjoyed and the spacious bathtub was a perfet way to soothe the aches of long days of shoppping. The bed was soft and I slept like a rock.

The only problem I encountered was that I had booked an in-room massage for my stay. After not hearing from the hotel I asked the status and they had not read the booking and thus did not have the appointment set and could not get it done, which was greatly disappointing. They did refund the money quickly and apologized, but I would not try to book spa appointments while there again. The staff I met was courteous and helpful.

I would definitely stay at the Portland Harbor Hotel again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Boston, MA
Reviewed February 25, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in one of the jacuzzi suites. The jacuzzi easily accommodated 2 people. Very nice bathroom. Small sitting area with desk and couch next to king bed. Very comfortable room.

Great location in the middle of Old Port. Great dining and shops within easy walking distance. Fun to walk around and explore. Harbor one block away. They charge $16/night for parking but there is no where else to leave your car.

Hotel restaurant excellent - we ate breakfast and dinner there. French toast and blueberry pancakes excellent. They serve real maple syrup. Had scallops for dinner, and they were very good. Turn down service leaves chocolate lobsters on pillow!

• Stayed February 2013
3 Thank precsol
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Not much to say other than the place was wonderful. I wasn't disappointed by anything. Very clean, very unique, very comfortable, very great location and extremely wonderful staff.

Portland is a small city with a lot to offer, and I plan on returning and staying at the Portland Harbor Hotel in the warmer months!

P.S. they have speakers in the bathrooms that are hooked up to your TV. I never thought of this prior to coming here, but I'm now convinced I need this in my house.

Methuen, Massachusetts
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I have stayed in all of the Old Port area hotels and this hotel is the best of them. The minute that you drive into the garage you are met by very friendly valets who go out of their way to welcome you. You do pay extra for the parking but that is standarad for the hotles in the area. The hotel lobby is very clean and well decorated. The people at the front desk were very helpful and check in was very fast. The room though a slight bit small was very clean and the bed was a bit less than firm but very comfortable. Pillows were soft but not mushy. The bathroom had a stand up shower and a deep tub. Disposable slippers were provided. The room was quiet (garden view) though they will mention that if you reserve a standard room that faces the street downtown noise may be an issue. My wife and I had a drink in the hotel bar and it was very nice and the service was excellent. I had notified the desk that it was my wife's birthday and upon our return to the room after a night in Old Port we were surprised to find a complementary bottle of wine and some fruit and cheese. A very nice touch. The hotel is really in the middle of all of the Old Port restaurants and pubs and after staying at the regency (some rooms can be run down a bit) or the Hilton Garden Inn (a bit farther away) I feel that this hotel is the better choisce.

Room Tip: The garden view rooms are supposed to be quieter.
Camden, Maine
Reviewed February 20, 2013

We usually stay at the Hampton Inn in the Old Port (and it serves the purpose for a reasonable rate), but this time we decided to spend a few dollars more and stay at the Portland Harbor Hotel, and we're glad we did. We hadn't stayed there in several years, and were happy to find it in excellent condition, including the guest rooms and the common areas as well. Service was impeccable, and everything was very clean.
We will certainly consider them the next time.

Reviewed February 8, 2013

The location in Portland's Old Port section is perfect. Easy walking to shops and restaurants. Lovely atmosphere. Welcoming lobby with the most delightful smell of a fragrance we loved but couldn't identify.

Rooms are lovely and clean. Bed linens are yummy. Bathroom is great. Room was quiet.

Overnight valet parking for $16 was reasonable.

Staff was really nice and very helpful.

If you stay there, make sure you book a reservation at Cinque Terre restaurant which is just steps away from the hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends