“Ice Bar 2012”

Portland Harbor Hotel
Ranked #5 of 21 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed January 30, 2012

A group of friends and I decided to check out the Ice Bar event at the Portland Harbor Hotel this January. A few of them had already been but this was my first time.
Easy ride from Boston, valet parking at the hotel, took us maybe 4 minutes to check in with the amazingly polite and helpful Valentyna (I think that was her name, sorry if I'm wrong). She gave me my rooms keys, tickets to the event and two drink tickets. No bad for about $200.
Hit the room and was pleasantly surprised at how nice it was. Two large beds topped fantastic bedding. The bed was ridiculously comfortable. The bathroom was spacious with a separate shower stall right next to the tub.
I noticed a 'this is a no smoking floor' sign on one of the floors but there was no scent of smoke anywhere in the hotel.
Unfortunately we had to roll early in the morning so I cant comment on the housekeeping but if its in line with the rest of the service then I can only imagine it is fantastic. Woke up to a local paper outside the room and fresh coffee in the lobby. How can you beat that?
I would definitely go back and most likely will even if its just for the Ice Bar next January.
The event itself was pretty fun. It was very very crowded though, my friends and I stayed for a couple of beverages and then sought indoor activities for the rest of the night.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Derek J
Write a ReviewReviews (1,533)

Reviewed January 30, 2012

great hotel. Location was convenient. All of the staff I came into contact with were very helpful and friendly. I arrived very late and the front desk staff was absolutely great. I highly recommend staying here.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank ryanc730
Reviewed January 30, 2012

This is THE place to stay in Portland. I will come back in the summer time and truly enjoy the place: the short stay of about 12 hours was just enough to make me realize what I was going to miss by leaving so soon.
If you want a truly elegant setting, top notch service, and a super clean and new environment, don't look anywhere else: this is your place to stay in Portland (and a Whole Foods store in the neighborhood is a good sign as to the location of this beautiful beautiful hotel).

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 30, 2012

We have stayed numerous times at this hotel and most recently I stayed for a week in January. The reservation and front desk staff were terrific (Josh was so helpful with a somewhat complicated reservation) - the whole staff seems to have been trained to be welcoming and helpful. The room was comfortable and temperature was easily controlled. The location is great - walkable to the Old Port. I ate several times in the dining room and bar area (divided by the fireplace) - it is a comfortable place to hang out and I was not uncomfortable being solo. I would highly recommend this hotel. The weekend after I left they were having an ice bar in the courtyard - sorry I missed that!!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed January 23, 2012

I received a weekend in Portland at the Portland Harbor Hotel for a Christmas present and this was great home-base for our stay! Despite the road construction at the hotel's entrance our first night and broken elevator the second night, we had a great stay. The restaurant has comfortable seating for drinks, we were allowed a later check out, the room was clean/a good size and the bed was super comfy. The location is perfect - we walked around the city and didn't need our car once!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 23, 2012

Such a great venue - so reasonably priced, and so accomodating. Compared and contrasted to many other venues before deciding, and Portland Harbor was by far the most ideal place. Beautiful atmosphere, and very laid back. Event planners, Jacqueline and Linda were so great to work with, and very understanding of budgets, ideas, etc. Highly recommend this place for any type of event, i.e. bridal shower, rehearsal dinners, receptions, etc.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 7, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Portland Harbor Hotel for one night in December to take advantage of the holiday events happening in Portland. We usually stay at the Regency, but decided to try something new. Check in was smooth and warm. The front desk was helpful and efficient. The room was small but comfortable. We had a double bed (I thought it was supposed to be a king, but I made a mistake) and I wish I had asked to switch at the time, but we decided to just live with it. It was tight! But we are used to a big bed at home. That is my only complaint about the room. We had dinner and drinks in the bar area by the gas fireplace. It was comfortable and yummy. Relaxing, informal, quiet, laid-back. The location is great because you are right in the heart of the Old Port and can easily walk around to shops and bars. The valet service was lovely as well- friendly, quick, helpful (we accidentally left our cellphones in the car and the valet got them for us). We adore the small New England feel of Portland so we were just happy to be there! The hotel was a nice, clean, friendly place to enjoy the city. I recommend it over the Regency only because it's slightly more upscale and a bit more sophisticated. My only issue is the decor which seemed rather bland and standard and an afterthought- nothing unique or especially eye-catching. But that is really a very minor complaint after an overall good experience.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple