“Great all rounder”

Portland Harbor Hotel
Ranked #4 of 20 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed November 16, 2011

I researched Portland hotels pretty carefully and this seemed like the only one which was not a standard chain hotel. Consequently I was surprised when it was the only place with any availability but this was no reflection on the hotel it turns out. From arrival everything is very efficient and the staff very friendly, particularly on reception when you check in. We opted for the garden rooms which were very large and comfortable. Only gripe is very noisy air conditioning even when it is turned off! The bar area is very nice and has a happy hour which was popular. The concierge David was very helpful in recommending restaurants and excursions. The breakfast is fantastic and very good value! Location is perfect for the Old Port. Overall really good hotel with the staff putting the cherry on top of our stay.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank chrisred82
Write a ReviewReviews (1,522)

Reviewed November 15, 2011

I stayed at the Portland Harbor to celebrate my Birthday. From the moment I arrived I felt completely pampered. The valet parking was great. The front desk was extremely helpful, friendly and polite. I was wished a Happy Birthday by several of the staff members. Dinner at the hotel's restaurant was exceptional. Our room overlooked the courtyard and was lovely.
I can't wait to come back again!!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Amy T
Reviewed November 10, 2011

Portland was so much more interesting than we had expected, and this hotel was a good base for exploring it. It wasn't the most sophisticated of hotels, but you could tell they did have ambitions to be so.

The only problem was that they messed up our dinner arrangements. When we arrived, they said there was no need for us to make a reservation. But when we came down for dinner, they kept us waiting 45 minutes as they had only enough staff to wait on four tables! But the staff did their best in difficult circumstances (ie impatient guests), and the food was good.

Room Tip: Contrary to our fears, our room overlooking the street was actually very quiet.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JohnWoodford
Reviewed November 7, 2011

we love this hotel -- within walking distance to just about everything, nice retreat at day's end in the bar area, friendly staff, nice exercise room, helpful valet parking. We were here in mid October and thoroughly enjoyed the stay. Our room with higher up and facing the garden/courtyard so street noise was not an issue though can understand how it might be. this is a great boutique hotel and we'll definitely be back!

Room Tip: Higher floor and garden view
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 7, 2011

This is a great location in the Old Port section of Portland. I had heard it could be noisy facing the street so I made a point of booking a garden facing room, and it was very quiet - I slept like a log. The bar/restaurant area is small but well designed, and the service is friendly. The hotel was crowded so food service was not terribly fast - but then, I wasn't in any hurry! I would definitely stay here again if I get back to Portland, and I hope I do. :)

Room Tip: I was on the top floor in a garden facing room and it was nice and quiet.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 5, 2011

perfect home base for experiencing downtown Portland...pleasant bar with a decent happy hour...an easy walk to many of the good restaurants as well as the city's harbor

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 3, 2011

We just returned from a week at the Portland Harbor Hotel. This was our 5th annual Maine Autumn vacation, and every year the Portland Harbor Hotel gets better. This hotel is perfectly situated. Whether you enjoy downtown shopping, sitting in the park with a cup of Starbuck's, strolling through the Old Port district, or sitting by the harbor watching cruise ships, sailboats, fishing boats, etc., the Portland Harbor Hotel is your perfect destination choice. We did all of these things on our recent visit, and what a pleasure to have such a variety of things to do, places to eat, pubs, shops, all in such easy walking distance of "home base."

The hotel itself is a jewel. The common areas are immaculately clean, and the staff is friendly and helpful. The food in Eve's Restaurant is fantastic. We always stay in a "living room suite" -- two rooms each with flat screen TV. The rooms have been updated twice in the past 2 years, and my husband and I thought the new wood floors were a lovely improvement. Our only suggestions for the hotel would be the inclusion of a coffee maker and minibar in the room. There is space enough for both in the small butler pantry in the living room. Outside of that, we had no complaints. Of particular note is the valet parking under the hotel. Yes, there is a daily charge for it, but it is money well spent. The staff there are extremely attentive, friendly and helpful. They always ask if help is needed with packages or if any directions are needed. They make parking downtown a complete pleasure.

The Portland Harbor Hotel is first class. You won't be disappointed.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple