“Total Lack of Customer Focus”
Review of The Percy Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
The Percy Inn
Ranked #11 of 12 Portland B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 14, 2011

We checked in and had the Pine Three studio. We had the folowing issues: WiFi wouldn't connect as signal was too weak, lack of some towels, no soap, trip area going into bathroom - dangerous. Bathroom drain was clogged and drained very slow, toilet hung up as internal rods connected with each other and kept running water as I attempted to fix it (to save water usage). Had to block AC window unit sides to avoid flying bugs joining us for the night. Never saw innkeeper, but when we brought up the issues above he had a total lack of customer focus and was consumed with helping us find another place and was rude. When I spoke with the staff, they indicated this was normal behavior. Since I consult in helping organizations improve quality and customer satisfaction and was speaking at a conference on this topic - I was blown away by the total lack of trying to please the customer. My main regret is that I just looked at the web site and didn't research out the reviews. We did move after one night into better digs at lower cost.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
5  Thank hwk455
There are newer reviews for The Percy Inn

Reviewed April 5, 2011

We took the train up from Boston for an overnighter in Portland. We found this place on line.
Great location, an easy walk to all the port district locations. The building has very nice woodworkingnand historic feel. The rooms are very very clean ( I say rooms because they leave all the doors open so you can see what is available). Our room was huge and spotless. Breakfast was just what we expected and early as they said it would be. Very nice staff too. The only thing we didn't like was the pillows. Way too hard for these old necks. Other than that we really like the people and the room. We will be back for our next trip to "J's" for lunch!

Room Tip: Just talk to Dale, he was very accommodating to u.
  • Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 14, 2010

Two people on Google said it all--said they'd NEVER stay there again. We would not either. Wish I knew before I spent a horrible visit there. Host never welcomed guests-never saw him at all. Only contact was with a VERY rude woman when we checked out. We had a bedandbreakdfast gift cert. and were charged more than price of room. Room did not look like pictures--it was dark and dreary-pictures and write up were VERY MISLEADING. Stairs were very steep and windy--we could manage but would have been impossible for some people. Seedy area. Breakfast was self-service and poor. VERY poor value. Horrible place. Not at all like other B&Bs we've stayed in.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
5  Thank seethesights_10
Reviewed October 7, 2010

We booked this Inn based on the belief that as the innkeeper was an apparently respected travel writer it would meet the expectations of seasoned travellers. At the time of making the reservation in Spring 2010 the Trip Advisor Reviews were also very good. Unfortunately it turned out to be the most disappointing accommodation we stayed in on our 16 night tour of New England.
We never saw or heard from the innkeeper during our 2 night stay and only saw the single female member of staff occasionally at breakfast and on checking out. A note was left allocating us our room which was on the top floor up some very steep stairs. The room itself was clean and comfortable but we had disturbed sleeps both nights. The inn is situated across the street from a dingy looking pub which had undesirables hanging about outside it most of the time it was open. On our first night at 5am there was a works truck with its engine running out the front of the inn. It had a cherry picker with a workman with a torch hardhat on it working on the telephone cables below our bedroom window. On the second night about the same time there was some idiot in a sports car stopped outside revving the engine repeatedly. I appreciate these are incidents beyond the control of the innkeeper but they are perhaps indicative of the type of area the inn is located inn. There appear to be several hostels nearby and it is a bit intimidating meeting the residents walking the streets after dark .
The buffet breakfast room does not have enough tables for the amount of guests and the pantry/kitchen where the food and drinks have to be prepared only has room for 2 people at one time making breakfast a frustrating experience. In addition the elusive member of staff was rarely present to advise guests or even exchange pleasantries. The lintel above one of the dining room windows was exposed plaster.
I have already mentioned the steep stairs, which the innkeeper makes reference to in the website, but I did not expect the wooden bannister to be loose resulting in me almost falling down the stairs when I was departing downstairs with my suitcase. I also saw an elderly couple arrive at the premises with heavy luggage which they would have struggled to take upstairs without my assistance.
I agree with a previous reviewer that the inn is further from the harbour area attractions than expected and would not recommend the premises to anyone.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
5  Thank RHH_8
Reviewed October 4, 2010

Before visiting the Perccy Inn, I read all the reviews and thought I was in for a miserable trip - I couldn't cancel as I booked late and nowhere else was available. However, as you can see from my byline, I had a great visit. The room was clean, pleasantly decorated and had everything I could possibly need from an umbrella to M&Ms beside the bed. I do not dispute that you are welcomed by a letter at reception but when I travel with my partner I want to be with them rather than share my weekend with the hoteliers. The breakfast was more than adequate and the constant supply of complementary hot and cold drinks a pleasant change. The hotel's back patio is pleasant to hang out in if waiting for friends and the car park very handy and free.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 3, 2010

We should have read the reviews before we booked and stayed at the Percy Inn. We have stayed at quite a few B&Bs and this one has been the worst experience so far. We did not meet the Innkeeper at all. The only person we met was a young girl that said she was the chief cook and bottle washer. She did everything. It was all very inpersonal. The night we got there we found a note stuck to the wall with instructions on what to do. We called the innkeeper and told him we wanted to walk to the Old Port area. He told us that it was only a 10 min walk. It was about 20-25 mins and we do alot of walking. You think he would have told us like the waitress at the restaurant we ate at to take a cab back to our room as it was only 5 dollars and it was pouring rain. I dont think he was even in the city when I called. The breakfast was just ok. Nothing to even write about. My recommendation is DO NOT stay here

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
4  Thank licdus
Reviewed August 15, 2010

While not huge fans of B&Bs in general, my husband and I enjoyed our multi-night stay at the Percy Inn. It is a classy, unique, charming place to hang out, located just far enough from the "scene" of the Old Port area to give peace of mind. The staff presence is lacking, though there was nothing in particular we needed from them, but the Inn did feel a bit unattended. We used the one-day pass to "Planet Fitness" and that was a great advantage. Breakfast was very good the first day, but the offering is identical every single day, which is not only tiresome but really uncreative! And the "pantry" offerings were slim indeed. The movie library is nice to have.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple