“Excellent food, good value”
Review of Schulte & Herr

Schulte & Herr
Ranked #80 of 627 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: German
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Kennebunk, Maine
“Excellent food, good value”
Reviewed October 28, 2012

6 of us dined here on a Saturday night in late October. We arrived early for our 6 pm reservation and were seated immediately. The two wait people were friendly, attentive and responsive to our every need. One couple had dined here before so we knew it was BYOB.

The meal was a complete success. Most all of us had potato pancakes as a starter and were impressed with their taste and crispiness. My wife and I shared the offering that came with smoked salmon, sour cream and capers. Wonderful combination! We enjoyed the cucumber salad that we ordered as an extra side to accompany our entrees. I had the Wurstplatte: bratwurst, kielbasa, smoked ham with sauerkraut & German potato salad for $17.50. My wife had the Schweineschnitzel: thinly pounded, breaded, and fried pork loin served with German potato salad and red cabbage sauerkraut. Both dishes were delicious and true to their origin.

You should be aware that the restaurant is located in not the most desirable area, and the restaurant decor is modest. The food more than makes up for it at a very reasonable cost. We were surprised that the restaurant was notr busier.

• Visited October 2012

Maine/New York
“Great value, delicious German food”
Reviewed October 27, 2012

While the place isn't fancy, the food is authentic and plentiful. The prices are beyond fair, and it is BYOB. Who could ask for anything more! The potato pancakes are nice and crispy. The soup was tasty as was the cucumber salad. The pork loin was cooked to perfection and the sausage and ham were lovely.

• Visited October 2012
Winchester, Massachusetts
“Delightful and tiny”
Reviewed September 27, 2012

The lunches represent authentic German home cooking, just like my in-laws serve in Germany and which we pine for her in New England. Lentil soup, great! Bratwurst and very mild yummy sauerkraut, great! Pork sandwich even greater! Why, oh why, were they out of goulash? Perhaps to tempt me to return on my next trip to Portland. Oh, and their plums with vanilla cream (a custard) was an unfamiliar but delicious light dessert. Alas, the potato pancakes were not like my Mom used to make--but hey, she's not German! We'll be back!

• Visited September 2012
Plymouth, MA
“And I didn't have to show my passport to get here!”
Reviewed August 27, 2012

For a tiny neighborhood restaurant, this place was great for lunch. It smelled like the German food I love so much. The pea soup was spectacular. The roasted beets were perfection.IWe shared the smoked salmon and potato pancakes. If you expect NY style lox, don't. The salmon is more like dill cured Scandinavian. My husband also ordered the German potato salad and it was perfect. If you use the bathroom, be sure to look for the deerhead on the wall.
Be forewarned, BYOB.

• Visited August 2012
Portland, Maine
“Excellent!”
Reviewed August 16, 2012

Schulte & Herr is a wonderful addition to Cumberland Ave. and to the downtown. It's really hard to find German food in New England, and Schulte & Herr does it well. I took a friend here for lunch, because she so enjoys her mother's German cooking. She thought everything that she ate was excellent, and so did it. I'm so pleased to have found this place and can't wait to return for a dinner.

We started with an assortment of delicious, homemade, and hearty German breads. For an appetizer we had perfectly prepared potato pancakes. I loved my beef gulasch with pan-fried bread dumplings. My friend thought her bratwurst and potato salad were scrumptious. The potato salad didn't have too much vinegar in it, which she said can be a problem with store-bought German potato salads. Everything was just right.

The restaurant is small and homey, and our server was delightful. I thought my meal might be too heavy for lunch, but I left feeling satisfied and not overly full. All in all, Schulte & Herr is a great find. Cumberland Ave. can be a little bit crazy at times, but don't let that stop you from trying this place. They do a brunch menu on Saturday and Sunday as well.

• Visited August 2012