“Excellent!”

Cuisines: German
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed August 16, 2012

Schulte & Herr is a wonderful addition to Cumberland Ave. and to the downtown. It's really hard to find German food in New England, and Schulte & Herr does it well. I took a friend here for lunch, because she so enjoys her mother's German cooking. She thought everything that she ate was excellent, and so did it. I'm so pleased to have found this place and can't wait to return for a dinner.

We started with an assortment of delicious, homemade, and hearty German breads. For an appetizer we had perfectly prepared potato pancakes. I loved my beef gulasch with pan-fried bread dumplings. My friend thought her bratwurst and potato salad were scrumptious. The potato salad didn't have too much vinegar in it, which she said can be a problem with store-bought German potato salads. Everything was just right.

The restaurant is small and homey, and our server was delightful. I thought my meal might be too heavy for lunch, but I left feeling satisfied and not overly full. All in all, Schulte & Herr is a great find. Cumberland Ave. can be a little bit crazy at times, but don't let that stop you from trying this place. They do a brunch menu on Saturday and Sunday as well.

Reviewed August 12, 2012

Very pleasantly surprised! After reading about Schulte & Herr I decided to give it a try. Since their menu is available online I will not go into details on that. Suffice to say it is what one would consider a pretty basic German home cooking, and it is delicious! They were five of us and we ordered several appetizers, sides and all but one available entrée. Every dish was very tasty. Importantly, everything is freshly made with many local Maine ingredients. Two kinds of home baked bread were very good, with rye sourdough our clear favorite. The dining room is pretty simple with just a few tables and an assortment of chairs, but it is not crowded like other restaurants in Portland. The service was outstanding, from a warm welcome to making sure that we had everything we needed including correct glasses for the alcoholic beverages we brought with us (It is a BOB situation). The timing of dishes was good, with all entrees served at the same time. I did not have room for desert, but I am already plotting our next visit and this time I hope to try one.

Reviewed August 6, 2012

Awesome bacon.
Delicious split pea soup.
BYOB besides. Excellent value. I also highly recommend the potato and raisin bread, it was crisp and delicious.

Reviewed May 27, 2012 via mobile

Being a fan of ethnic cuisine, I have wanted to try Schulte and Herr for quite some time now. Went yestetday for a casual lunch - had the Bratwurst and German Potato Salad that was raved about when the local paper reviewed the site several mos ago. The Brat was superb with flavor, seasoned subtly but not to over power and tender and juicy as well. It paired perfectly with the best sauerkraut I have ever eaten. The potato salad was fantastic - bacon, capers, I think chopped cornichon as well - the dressing had the perfect balance of acidic vinegrette. I sincerely could have licked the plate clean. The service was incredibly welcoming and friendly as well. Overall far met and exceeded my expectations.

Reviewed May 15, 2012

After having a wonderful luch several months back took my mother there in early May and was disappointed with menu and food. I had sauerbraten ($18) and was a small portion, meat was not very flavorful, dumbed down for American palates, red cabbage tasted too strongly of clove and saw no evidence of apples, potato dumplings were 3 slices of mashed potatoes browned, not dumplings. The rye bread with Liptauer cheese spread was great. My mother had borscht, not bad but no sour cream or creme fraiche dollop on top. Her Zweibelkuchen was more like a quice with Gruyere cheese not an open faced pie with carmelized onions. Hubby had the platter with two sausages and smoked pork with red bliss potatoes for German potato salad. Use yukon gold instead. We shared a piece of strawberry cake, not the open faced flan we were expecting but still good. Other choices were a seafood gulash, didn't appeal to us or Maultaschen. They tried to seat us at the door when we arrived but it was a cold, raw, rainy evening and too damp for that table. We had made reservations a week earlier.
Hope owners will try to be more authentic German.

1  Thank MeaganLeigh