“Not so bad. Would stay again.”
Review of Motel 6 Portland

Motel 6 Portland
Ranked #17 of 19 Hotels in Portland
Chicopee, Massachusetts
“Not so bad. Would stay again.”
Reviewed June 29, 2014

I think they remodeled this hotel within the past year. It's not a warm, inviting place, and looks a little bit like a remodeled prison. The hallways had newer carpet but is painted white and orange. The room was newly painted, new sink in bathroom, new floor, and the shower looked newer, new shower head, and had a new shower curtain. I did not notice any funky smells. The accent wall was green instead of orange. The sheets were clean and the mattress was clean and new (yes, I checked). The bed was hard, and the towels were small and rough. I was there for 4 nights, and one day housekeeping did forget to come so I had to go to the front desk for towels. All staff persons were very polite, friendly, and helpful. This was my first time in Portland, and they told me how to get to places and how the city bus operated. There may be some sketchy people who stay there, but no one bothered me. The only downside is there is no pool, no fridge, and no microwave in the rooms or anywhere in the hotel. It is in a great location and not too far from the waterfront.

Room Tip: There is a shopping area 2-3 blocks from the hotel, bus stop is one block away, and there are restau...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Kaysie_2017

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Hebrew first
Washington, D.C.
Reviewed June 29, 2014

I stayed here twice in June 2014 on the way to and from Augusta and Boothbay Harbor further upstate, and I found both rooms to be perfectly clean, quiet and cozy and the Desk staff friendly and professional. It's clear the place has had a thorough renovation very recently. Sure, the rooms are a bit spartan, but that was all I wanted to pay for anyhow. If you want to pay another $30 or more a night just up the street for those extra amenities of a dorm fridge, single-serve coffee machine and a tiny hyper-chlorinated pool you probably won't use, then by all means do so. On the other hand, if you've been on the road since morning, and it's now dark, then Exit 48 is your friend.

Frankly, I don't know why I am giving it four stars instead of five, except that four just seems more appropriate for a Motel 6...ANY Motel 6.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
4 Thank Bilgemaster
Saratoga Springs, New York, United States
Reviewed June 28, 2014 via mobile

The lady at the front desk was very nice. The elevator makes a bunch of noises it shouldn't. All the hallways have a horrible smell. My wife and I walked into the room, the first thing she said is it feels like I'm in prison. There is no refrigerator, microwave, the bed sheets look like they have been used since the 80's. We went right back to the front desk and got our money back.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Windham, Maine
Reviewed June 24, 2014

I voluntarily stayed here last January, knowing full well this was a cheap dirty hotel. Probably one of the worst in Portland? It was just a quick overnight, though. Only had to sleep a few hours before going to the airport.

I'd stayed here once before knowing not to expect much more than the smell of urine in the hall and an extremely basic room, questionable people hanging around, but I never expected the surprise the morning I checked out. The police were out in the parking lot putting crime scene tape up around a vehicle. Turns out, they found a body of a woman in a abandoned snow covered car. She'd been shot and left there over a month before being discovered! No more than 50 feet from the front door.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed May 27, 2014

I was surprised on how nice this motel was.I was expecting the worst based on these reviews,but it was the opposite. The establishment was perfectly located,less than minutes from downtown Portland,right on the interstate.Motel 6 was very clean,the room was a nice size again very clean.The bathroom was nice and simple,clean towels.The bed & pillows were so comfortable,had a good night sleep.There was no fridge but i hardly notice til my friend pointed that out,didnt care for it. It's basic,good location,good price,I would def recommend this place and that's where i'd staty if i were to visist Portland again which is I will.

Room Tip: I dont remember seeing hair dryers,so bring yours if need to use one.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
New Bedford
Reviewed April 14, 2014

Approaching the motel it reminded me of pictures I have seen of prisons. The front desk looked like a police station without the security. The halls looked kind of gloomy. The elevator made a scary sound but it got us up and down without incident. The room was about as Spartan as could be. The walls were a glaring white color with the only thing on the wall being a mirror. The furniture, what there was of it, looked like it came out of a do-it-yourself kit. The bed was reasonably comfortable and accept for the hammering sound coming from the next room, maybe they were assembling furniture, the night was peaceful. I feared that the parking lot was not all that safe but I have nothing but a gut feeling to base that on. The panhandler on the corner did not do much for the neighborhood. There were nearby places to eat and a supermarket across the street. It could be worse, I guess, but my first Motel 6 stay will probably be my last. P.S, The front desk clerks were nice and that is why I gave this motel a little higher rating.

Room Tip: Find something closer to Old Port
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Spankems
Indianapolis
Reviewed February 14, 2014

They remodeled the motel and it looks really nice. The only down side on the third floor it smelled like someone cooked fish and it was a little over bearing in the hallway. Over all a positive experience. Left a day early and they refunded me the extra day quickly. People were very friendly that i dealt with.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo