“worst hotel i've ever stayed in, **BED BUGS ALERT**”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Motel 6 Portland

Motel 6 Portland
Ranked #17 of 19 Hotels in Portland
Burlington, Vermont
“worst hotel i've ever stayed in, **BED BUGS ALERT**”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2012

This is absolutely the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. The staff is exceedingly unfriendly, unhelpful, and unprofessional. The rooms reek of smoke. Even with all these gripes, I would have still given the motel a higher rating if it were not for the bed bugs I experienced. I understand that hotels often have issues with bed bugs and that it is very important to most of them to protect their image and that they take these matters very seriously. Not the case with Motel 6.

I had checked in mid afternoon, and first noticed the bed bugs around 11pm at night. I was watching TV and began to notice some itching. When I turned on the light, I noticed 2-3 little red bugs crawling around on the sheets, which I recognized immediately as bed bugs. I received about 6-7 bites on my legs and back before I had discovered them. I immediately packed up my things and went down to the front desk to report the issue. The guy at the front desk did absolutely nothing to help me. He said he could not give me a new room (understandable because they don't want them to spread, even though I carefully went through all my things to ensure nothing was infested), and worse, refused to even acknowledge the issue or issue me a refund. He gave me a card with a number to call, and I left the hotel around midnight to find a different place to stay. This was all a huge inconvenience for me, yet I maintained a postive attitude and agreed to call the number the next day to see about getting my refund. Close to a month passed, and after a lengthy process dealing with their corporate offices, I received a call saying that "no evidence of bed bugs was found in the room, and that my claim for the refund was denied". This is absolutely unacceptable! I paid for a room that I couldn't stay in. You would think a corporation as large as motel 6 could afford to suck up a $60 dollar loss to potentially keep a customer, but apparently they need the money more than I do. All I've ever wanted was just a refund, and they refuse to even acknowledge that there are bed bugs in the room.

Needless to say, I am going to the better business bureau about this and writing reviews on every single website I can find. Don't stay here. I know I'll never stay in another one of their properties again.

Room Tip: don't stay here
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank Chris57201

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Hebrew first
Greene, RI
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2012

Upon entering the lobby of Motel 6 in Portland, ME, it was apparent there was a mildew problem because of the odor. Once in my room, the air circulating was putrid! It was a cross between, mildew, smelly feet and nicotine. The front desk clerk moved me to another room which also smelled. A few folks I bumped into said their rooms smelled too. Fortunately, I was refunded my money. I cannot recommend this motel.

Room Tip: There is no good romm at this Motel 6.
Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank artdon
Maine
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2012

I have never had any problems with getting a restful sleep. The property and rooms are clean and the beds comfortable. My last stay here was over a year ago. At that time I was disatisfied with the WiFi service. That has not changed. One still has to pay extra for internet access that is both slow and sporadic. The two of us each bought a card for our laptops and were greatly inconvenienced with the quality of the service. We weren't able to get essential work done as the signal would go out regularly. The reception was limited to a small section of the bedroom. Other nearby properties have much more dependable internet access.

This property still does not provide clock/radios in the rooms. Only two small bars of soap in the bathroom. The desk clerk said they don't put out shampoo. Aside from the negatives mentioned, this property is consistently the best valued hotel in the I-95, ex 48 area.

Room Tip: Pets are allowed in the rooms and this may pose a problem for those with allergies.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank David J P
Great Exuma
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2012

Did not experience negatives others have recently posted. But neither did I experience a 3 star accommodation, nor did I expect to. Motel 6 is what it is and you get what you pay for: nothing more, nothing less. The room and bathroom were clean. There is that lingering odor that you get in these types of places, but I've have smelt them in better places too. Staff friendly enough, but didn't need anything more than check in. Ended up costing less than Internet reservation. Great location.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank JC O
Lowell, Massachusetts, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2012

This was the worst experience I have had. The smell is horrible as soon as you walk in front door. The employees all need to take a customer service class. Room - well lets just say had to open window (and keep open) to keep the smell out. Blood on sheets - front desk didnt care & didnt have any "CLEAN" sheets available. Dog urine in elevator & saw dog pee in hallway, maybe that was the smell in the rooms, they dont seperate room for pets/non-pets. Was called by "MICHELLE" from front desk to tell me my friend (who was also staying here) could not be in my room (going over work) because only 2 people were on registry. She couldn't wrap her head around the fact that my friend was also their customer. I would NEVER stay there again.

Room Tip: 2 towels in the room, (hand towels) asked front desk for more or bigger towel - response none availa...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Lisa M
Saint Francis, Maine
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2012

DO NOT STAY HERE!!!! I REPEAT, DO NOT STAY HERE!!!!
I was just there with my Mom, and daughter on 7/30/2012. My mom was having surgery on 7/31/2012 and we needed to be at the hospital @ 7:00 a.m. and we live 6 hours from Portland and thought it would be easier to stay here to be closer, WRONG!!!!! We arrived at the Motel @ 8:00 p.m. on 7/30/2012 went in and registered and went up to our room on the 4th floor, opened the door and it smelled awful (cigarette's). Checked the beds and the box springs were torn, and yellow. The comforter and wool blanket had burn holes in them and the pillow cases had blood stains on them. If that wasn't bad enough there was a party going on in the next room, but thought it would quiet down after awhile, WRONG!!!! My daughter and I went to the car to get our own pillows to see a police officer in the lobby (should of been a clue) he was looking for a criminal, still gave the benefit of the doubt and went back to our room, at about 10:30 my mom and daughter had fallen asleep and I was watching t.v. and all of a sudden there was pounding on our door, and someone yelling for "Nick" I went to the door and looked through the peep-hole to see 4 men who looked sketchy pounding on other doors and yelling all kinds of obscenities, I called the front desk and no one answered!! We were really scared now, so we packed up after only being there for 2 1/2 hours and went to the front desk and demanded our money back!!! They gave it back to us, and went to Howard Johnsons just down the street, and for $20.00 more we had a CLEAN, QUIET, SAFE room!!! After talking to some people about this motel, I found out it was the worst part of Portland, there have been gunshots in the motel, and the police are called often to come there. The building looks nice from the outside but trust me looks can be very deceiving!!!

Room Tip: Go somewhere else!!!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Cold Brook, NY
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2012

Even if you are looking for basic accommodations for a night, finding dirty towels in your bathroom and a clogged sink which the desk staff shrugs and says they can do nothing about may indicate that this particular site is not a place to stay. Add to that the fact that the motel was overbooked, that the elevator was broken, that the carpets are stained and that other couples also found clear signs that rooms were just not maintained (half-full coolers still in their rooms, more dirty towels), we suggest you drive a little farther or spend a little more at a different motel. Ick.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family