“The best lobster roll and chowder during our Maine vacation”
Review of Fishermen's Grill

Fishermen's Grill
Ranked #92 of 621 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: Seafood
Description: Closed Monday , Open Tuesday 12-3 Wed-thurs 12-6 Fri-sat 12-9 Sunday 12-6 Thanks ! Feel Free To Call I Will Close If I Run Out Of Food
Dallas, Texas
“The best lobster roll and chowder during our Maine vacation”
Reviewed August 21, 2013

We planned our trip up the coast to hit most of the lobster shacks that are recommended. Mike's place is the best we found. Yes, it's hard to find. Yes, you might have to wait a bit because everyone wants his food. It's worth it.

• Visited August 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
“A must to stop and eat here!”
Reviewed August 18, 2013

First, this is a cash only business so come prepared. My girlfriend and I ordered from their specials the lobster bites & fish and chips. Holy wow were we impressed! The lobster was amazing and was lightly fried so you really get to taste the lobster and not just the batter. The fish and chips were light as well and the tartar sauce was great. There is seating inside and outside but for groups bigger then 2 you'll have to sit outside to all be together. The guy taking our order was nice, funny and even gave a couple free chowder because they forgot to order it. Overall this was one of the best seafood meals I've ever had, and it was well priced. Excellent place and I will definitely stop here again when I'm in Maine.

• Visited August 2013
“Hard to find, but worth it!”
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Our group of 3 had a late lunch on a Saturday and were lucky enough to get a table inside and only had a short wait for food. As others have noted, seating is very limited - some inside, some outside. The staff was very friendly (seemed to be mostly family members). The food was awesome, especially the clams. It is a bit hard to find, but there is a red truck covered with advertising (for the neighboring business) parked out on the street that is a great landmark.

• Visited July 2013
Austin, TX
“Never got to try the food”
Reviewed August 12, 2013

People love this food, but it wasn't in the cards for us. We went because of TripAdvisor recs. There were plenty of other people there for the same reason.

First visit: We arrived latish our first evening in town and after waiting 15 minutes to place our order (chowder and jumbo lobster roll) with just one couple ahead of us (at that time we saw a lot of orders on the counter waiting to be filled) and then another 20 minutes after we ordered, we learned they were out of nearly everything. The guy at the counter suggested we return around 3 or 4 in the afternoon to be sure to get something.

Second visit: We returned another day around 4:00 and ordered the same thing: clam chowder and a lobster roll. After waiting 30 minutes my husband asked if there was a problem with our order and was told that a really big 'to go' order had to be prepared. After another 30 minutes, and seeing people who came AFTER us getting their food, my husband asked for our money back.

Needless to say, I'd formed some friendships with all the other people waiting and those that did get food said it was really good and worth the wait. We'll never know.

To be honest, we were prepared to wait, based on all the recommendations we read. But I have to say we were a little puzzled as to why chowder and a lobster roll takes so long. Maybe the chowder is made individually instead of having a big pot of it; maybe the lobster roll filling isn't prepared in big batches but individually when ordered.

Visited August 2013
3 Thank welloff78726
mike n, Owner at Fishermen's Grill, responded to this review, August 17, 2013
Hi sorry that that happened to you guys , but I remember what happened u pretty much said it all , nothing at the fishermen's grill is premade . It may look like there is nothing going on but I have 10 take out orders , and I only make small batches of things to keep food quality .. the fishermen's grill is not your typical restaurant I look at it as a food sanctuary, I will not speed up or expand my operation any more then I already have . I tried a few things the week of the 4th of july to speed things up but I lost the quality , the food started looking like every other place and I don't want that , sorry again we had to refund you $ but im just a very small operation and I do a lot of it my self .. I hope you come back and give me a try ill make it up to you . ps try to come around 3:30ish
New York City, New York
“Best Lobster Roll in New England”
Reviewed July 30, 2013

If your searching for the best lobster roll this is the place we tried many from New York to Maine and this is by far one of the best!

Visited July 2013