“What a "record store" should be”
Review of Bull Moose Music

Bull Moose Music
Ranked #5 of 40 Shopping in Portland
Knebworth, United Kingdom
107 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 130 helpful votes
“What a "record store" should be”
Reviewed October 6, 2011

I'm of the age when the local record store, generally an independent, was really important not only to buy your records but also to meet others, learn about different music, and even eventually as your place of work - at which point you'd truly arrived (think 'High Fidelity'). How miserable this world of online shopping is by comparison and how sad it is that, here in the UK anyway, music stores have all but disappeared. But every year I am rejuvenated by my visit to Bull Moose where I buy a clutch of CDs, have a browse and a chat with the staff (albeit mostly about half my age) and come away feeling that the world has not entirely "turned away" (ref. Neil Young 'On the beach'). The computerised stock listing system is excellent allowing me to order up what isn't in stock before I return home. That said they hold a great stock, current and back catalogue, both new and used at excellent prices and they can draw in from other branches. They also stock DVDs, games, vinyl and some accessories. It's in the basement and resources have not been wasted on unnecessary shopfittings - it is a functional, friendly music store and totally welcoming even to an old geezer like me. If you're local and you like music you must know this place already, but for music fans (probably visitors) who don't know it yet, "Go there".

Visited August 2011