“One of Portland's Best and Hidden!!!”
Review of JP's Bistro

JP's Bistro
Ranked #83 of 622 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Cape Elizabeth, Maine
“One of Portland's Best and Hidden!!!”
Reviewed January 9, 2014

I have lived in Portland for 4 years now and have tried so many of the fabulous restaurants in this city.. several of them I have tried multiple times. I went to JP's recently after hearing some rave reviews and I was not disappointed!!! The restaurant is tiny so make reservations, it was packed at 530PM with a jovial crowd. We were immediately seated and had an extremely knowledgeable server. The menu was extensive and took a solid 20 minutes to figure out what I wanted for my entree , whilst ordering appetizers, drinking Jalapeno Pineapple Margaritas and chatting with the server about his favorites, the specials, the restaurant, etc. The food was delicious, the staff was so sweet and attentive, and the atmosphere was warm and inviting. My top 3 in Portland- worth a trip away from the Old Port every now and then!!!

• Visited December 2013
2 Thank CapeGirl35

Montreal, Canada
“Small local place with large menu”
Reviewed October 9, 2013

I would drive back to Maine just to eat at JP's Bistro. With a chalboard full of specials, there is something for everyone. Fresh ingredients, nice decor, it was a perfect place to spend an awesome Friday evening with friends. I had the swordfish and a fresh variety of vegetables served with pesto and goat cheese. So good!!!

• Visited September 2013
2 Thank Juliescrapbook
Pownal, Maine
“A restaurant for celebration!”
Reviewed September 18, 2013

We celebrate our wedding anniversary each year with my in-laws. My brother-in-law knew of JPs Bistro, but it was new ground for my wife and me. We were not at all disappointed. The food was well-presented and delicious. The wait staff was as good as the food. We had appetizers of mussels, crabmeat-stuffed mushroom caps and more. They were delicious. I asked the waiter to surprise me with a cold beer and a bourbon straight-up, and he brought a selection that I would never have made, but was really, really good. The entrees ranged from seafood to chicken, and all were very, very good. This is not a quiet and intimate setting; the restaurant lends itself more to happy celebrations instead of quiet, romantic dining. You can enjoy a dinner at JPs with that special person. Just be aware that the seating is a little tight, and other patrons will be close-by. And oh yes, the desserts were wonderful too. So, for a party of six, with drinks, four bottles of wine, appetizers, dinner and dessert, the tab was around $340. I think that's pretty reasonable. The waiter did a great job. We tipped him $70. Give JPs a try. You will like it.

• Visited September 2013
Portland, Maine, United States
“Perfection”
Reviewed September 8, 2013 via mobile

It was great finding a restaurant off the peninsula, and away from the crowds. Small in size, large in stature. We went hungry and unfortunately slightly grumpy. Once I received the bread basket I settled right in. Somewhat small menu but a ton of evening specials totally made up for it. Starters were big enough to share and good enough not to want to. Entrees were absolutely flawless. Servers had impeccable knowledge of everything on the menu and were extremely helpful with suggesting different ways to enjoy several dishes. One word of caution: reservations are not only recommended, but maybe the only way to get in. I can't wait to go back, my only concern is trying something new, or sticking with the Rigatoni and Sausage dish.

Visited September 2013
1 Thank TJ L
Greenville, SC
“True neighborhood restaurant!”
Reviewed August 24, 2013

Visited during summer vacation to Portland Area. Not in the downtown area but in a nice neighborhood setting. more locals than tourists. Small restaurant with a cozy bar. Menu items on a board on the wall. Plenty to choose from with great pasta dishes, local vegetables. Friendly service greeted repeat customers apparently. Definitely a great addition to the Portland restaurant scene.

• Visited June 2013