“hidden gem”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed March 28, 2013

i found this place after 2 days of scouring Yelp and TripAdvisor for food spots in the portland area. I went through pages, and a random filter later jp's bistro popped up in my list. it was 5 min away from our hotel and seemed pretty good, nice price so why not. i wanted to make a reservation but ended up taking a nap :) and we just walked in around 8pm. had to wait about 15 min but everyone told us we were extremely lucky to even get a seat with out a reservation. this place isnt tiny, but can only seat 40 and they usually dont take anyone with out a reservation.

well, apparently portland is a foodie hotspot, so we decided to taste damn near everything on the menu and let me tell you, i am a very, very, very, particular person when it comes to food. its either good, or bad there is no bland in between. ive worked the front of the house, and behind in the kitchen so i expect quality from certain places.

out of the 11 dishes i tasted that night i can tell you this, your money is well spent. everything we had was amazingly flavorful, seasoned perfectly, and cooked to perfection. the wait staff is super friendly, and really makes the atmosphere flow.
i could name all the dishes for you but really, everything was amazing.

next time im in maine, i wouldnt hesitate to stop here. and i already told my friends who are headed up there for a cruise they have to eat here one night.

Reviewed March 16, 2013

If you are from Maine, vacationing or just passing through, you have to stop for dinner at this lovely restaurant. The food was delicious, and even more important for us was the outstanding service we received from Jordan, our waiter. This young gentleman (because he deserves to be called this way) was the epitome of great service all around. He knew every dish by memory to perfection (he was once Sous-Chef) and was accommodating to my special requests as a vegan. Everything that he recommended, from the white wine sangria to the wine and to the food was delicious. Perfect actually. Me and my partner liked his service so much that we even thought of hiring him! Definitely check this place out and call out for Jordan and tell him on our behalf to keep up the great work! My partner had only one criticism which is that he didn’t like the crab cakes (which Jordan did not refer to), which were actually mushy and macerated so much and mixed with things so that he couldn’t tell it was crab… however, we still give this restaurant the highest possible marks and will definitely return the next time we pass through Portland. Thank you JP’s for a wonderful meal!

Reviewed February 5, 2013

Amazing staff, food, cocktails and atmosphere. We went here for an anniversary dinner and could not have been more pleased. The service was great and our waiter was extremly knowledgeable about everything on the menu/special board/drink list. I also love that it's just three guys in a kitchen making unbelievable food. Not pretentious like other Portland restaurants and much better food for a much better price.

We had the crab stuffed mushrooms, PEI mussels, the rustler ribeye, the seared scallops with risotto, the bread pudding and a blood orange maritni. Every single bite was delicious. We cannot wait to go back!

Reviewed December 1, 2012

We read the rave reviews and had to try it - sooo glad we did. Make a reservation! Food and service were excellent. Hubby had a seafood casserole that he is still raving about. Ravioli app. was delicious. Amazes me that just 3 guys in the kitchen can pull this off! Excellent value, too. We had an app, 2 entrees, fabulous bottle of wine and 1 huge desert and the bill was under $80 - how often does that happen anymore?? Tables are close and the place is loud but we like that - we were soon chatting with our table-neighbors who are locals and said the've watched the place literally take off. Something for everyone here. You can tell the owner really cares. Thank you for that, Mr. Owner! I appreciate it.

Reviewed November 22, 2012

And I don't mean that literally. What I do mean is JP's Bistro - and that includes JP himself and his outrageously (in the best sense of the word) professional and personable staff - is simply one of the very best restaurants in all of Portland (if not the entire state). It may be 18 on Trip Advisor, at the time of this writing (and deserves to be much, much higher; trust me on this...JP's is way better, in every way, than many of the restaurants currently ranked higher), but it's quickly vaulted to my (our) #1 Favorite!

Off the hook and out of control good. The heck with good....IT'S AMAZING!!!