“Awesome Selection of Beer”

Novare Res Bier Cafe
Ranked #48 of 642 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: Belgian
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Reviewed June 16, 2014

Novare Res Bier Cafe has probably the largest beer menu I have ever seen. Our bartender was extremely knowledgable and was able to help me pick one I loved. The atmosphere is good, just be prepared to be a little overwhelmed picking a beer!

Reviewed May 21, 2014

Ok. I've been fortunate enough to drink beer in quite a few European cities, but sadly, never in Brussels. However, I think it's safe to say that Novare Res is about as authentic as you can get to a true Belgium beer drinking experiencing as there is... For someone that knows a little about craft beers and European beers, and occasionally pulls off a decent homebrew, I felt like a sub-novice upon reviewing their extensive beer list! Incredible... we drank beers that night that we had never heard of, and ALL of them were amazing. The interior of the place with it's brick-lined walls feels perfectly European, but we chose to sit outside on the expansive deck.

Google Maps indicates that it's approx. 3,380 miles between Portland and Brussels. I say, if you can't get to Brussels, trek on up/over/down to Portland. One recommendation though - find lodging that's within walking distance, or hire a car for service. I guarantee that you'll have more than just one...

Reviewed May 16, 2014

Off a courtyard among office buildings is not the first place one goes when looking for a beer bar. This made it feel like we were discovering an unknown, secret beer haven, although given the crowd, it was clearly a well known place. It is slightly below street level and with its dark wood interior, among many other features, make you feel that you are in a beer cellar in Belgium (this may be a fantasy of mine- I have never drank beer in a cellar in said country). The beer draft and bottle list is numerous, while not overwhelming, and features a selection of both local Maine craft beers, European beers, and American craft brews. This beer bar offers another stellar choice in a city that is already among one of my top cities visit for its beer culture.

Reviewed May 14, 2014

Having lived in Belgium for four years I feel compelled to try any restaurant that has Belgium beer and food. My wife and I visited here during their Belgium beer festival and it was as good as going to Belgium. Great selection of 30+ Belgium beers and the ones we tried were excellent.
It also looks like a cave inside which was very much like many bars in Belgium.
We did not try to food but will next trip.

Reviewed April 27, 2014

25 draught beers and a menu of bottled beers that boggles the mind. Drafts included a rauchbier (think smoky sweetness, like a perfectly grilled/smoked sausage!), kolsh, Belgian with hint of cherry, IPA of course...ahhhh!

They offer little samples of any and all draught beers.

The place is noisy with happy energy. Two young families were there with friends. Fun!

Foods: we got the hummus with warm pita, olives and pickled peppers on the side. All three of us loved the dollop of creamy ricotta also on the side. This was an ample nosh for two. Since there were three of us, we got a meat/cheese plate, selecting a smoked ham that the non-ham-loving Mrs. Reviewer liked, along with a creamy Stilton and a dry, sharp Sardo (from Sardinia, Italy).

I thought it was pricey, but every flavor in the beers and the foods was exquisite and ultimately worth the money! We'll definitely be back.