“Good beer destination”

Cuisines: Belgian
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Reviewed June 20, 2013

Was really surprised to be get in to Novare on a Saturday night - lucky for my wife and I, it was game one of the Stanley Cup and local Bostonb Bruins were playing; without any TV's, were were able to walk right in and find a seat outside very easily. The outside beer garden was really nice and we were greeted by a friendly server almost immediately. I was a bit surprised at the lack of local beers on tap - I was expecting to find more selections of local beers I could not find elsewhere but was a bit disappointed to say the least. Being from NJ I was looking forward to trying some beer from Oxbow (something I can't get at home) but they only had one offering on tap and I found it at other places in the city. Their tap and bottle list was extensive but in reading all of the great reviews, I expected more. Don't get me wrong, if you're in Portland and want to hit up a beer place with selections from all over the world, this is the place to go. My wife and I ventured inside before we left to check it out and could see why this place was so popular as there was a great vibe to the indoor bar - could definitely see myself hanging out there during the cold winter months.

There are newer reviews for Novare Res Bier Cafe

Reviewed June 17, 2013

First and foremost, one of the most fantastic selections of vintage/aged beers I've ever seen. I split a couple nice bottles with my girlfriend (an '08 Golden Carolus and a special Unibroue commemorating the anniversary of Quebec). Both were amazing and reasonably priced. They also had a stockpile of Founder's KBS (typically very difficult to find).

What really made this an over-the-top awesome experience though... unlike a lot of hardcore craft beer spots, this play was really unpretentious. The outdoor patio made me feel like I was at a friend's BBQ. The staff was attentive but not overbearing. Some of the people in our party had little to no interest in or taste for craft beer, and the staff was able work with them and find them brews that were both inexpensive and a little less complex.

If you're in Portland... this place is a must!

Reviewed June 15, 2013

Do not waste your time going.

Unless, you enjoy, very dark, homely beeristas that pretend to know something about beer, service with an attitude, and a product made up of European close outs of bottled beer, and drafts that are poor at best.

I've traveled the world writing about beer and tasting for 40 years.

Spend your money elsewhere.

And if the owner ever reads this, which I doubt with the attitude of their wait staff, get some lighting, increase the font of your 50 page menu, and make it real.

1  Thank Mocurlylulu
Reviewed May 29, 2013 via mobile

This place is unreal. The selection of beers are incredible. The service is good with knowlegeable bar guys. They knew what I wanted before I did

Reviewed April 19, 2013

The number one best thing about this bar is the atmosphere. It is like a German beer garden into with the long wood tables. And the huge deck in the summer it to die for. You can bring your dogs on it. It's a little pricy but in is on of the few places in Portland that has a distinctive flavor to it. I love it there. It is really fun when the have the tap take overs and they serve the beer in the HUGE glass stiens. Really a good time. In is an nice mix of people as well, every thing from professionals to young and old hippie to the hipster crowd. The people that own it just opened a new bar called infinity. I would in even go as far to say I like that place even more.