“not worth it...but could be great....strange”
Review of The Thirsty Pig

The Thirsty Pig
Ranked #41 of 642 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: American, Brew Pub
Dining options: Late Night
Description: Beer and Sausage. The two things we do best. Paring our house-made sausages with the best Maine-made beer we can find.
Reviewed September 3, 2012

Was off on labor day and took my brother and family to the Thirsty Pig and walked in to find us the only one there. Place looks cool...Strange because you order at the counter and then they bring you your food. So everything has to be done at once at the counter. You cant order a drink and look over the menu and then order food - everything is done at once.

The strange part was the food was good - at least the sausage was good. But you would think it would be a quick - the links would be pre grilled so they just have to throw them back on...throw it in a bun and serve it with a beer (they had great craft beers). The place is like they cant make up their mind - restaurant or take out place.

The strange part - is they serve pickles with each dish - except they serve 2 small pieces of pickles..my brother got two small little ends of a pickle. I should of taken a picture they were that small.

My wife got a sausage on a salad - great ....but it was a meal - what came out was an appetizer disguised as a meal.

My Son order a grilled cheese and what came out was a hotdog bun with nacho cheese sauce. gross.

Our meal was $62.00 we ordered:

1 sausage on a roll
2 hot dogs
1 chille dog
1 chille sausage

oh yeah and very small pickles ends.

the sausage was good - not great - you could find it at whole foods or any store with a butcher.

not a fan. would go if they were a quick place to grab a beer and a sausage - but not if it meant staying for a while. If i have to pay that much i want full service.

will try again - but not as a meal with guest. might stop in for a beer. i want them to succeed - i just wish they would change their plan and become a quick place with great beer - rather than a sit down restaurant that makes people leave saying - was that a hotdog place, a sausage stand or a $65 meal?

Reviewed August 24, 2012

The sausage was amazing. I'm not a sausage fan but this made me a fan. We had thai pork sausage and blueberry chicken sausage and both were great choices. The deck was a great place to eat and enjoy the weather.

Reviewed August 19, 2012

As I read the other reviews, I feel like this place has been judged less on what it is and more on what folks thought it would or should be. The Thirsty Pig is not fancy, but that doesn't mean it serves low-quality food and drink. I like a dive as much as the next guy and will drink a Bud Light if it's the only thing in the cooler, but it's not fair to judge a place for not being a dive or one of a billion places that serves Bud Light. I wonder if the casual atmosphere combined with gourmet sausages and high-end beer is confusing to some people. Why come to Portland to eat junk or to drink corporate swill when Maine offers some of the best food and and beer in the United States?

If you'd like to try some of the best-made beer in the United States or some great local beer, which Portland has in spades, and a well-made, gourmet sausage, come to The Thirsty Pig. I highly recommend the Thai Chili sausage, the Lithuanian Kielbasa, and the Apple Chicken sausage. The Blueberry Mustard sausage was not to my liking, but it was not terrible by any means. The Thirsty Pig always has a selection of excellent craft brews. You also can't beat the $2.50 pints of Shipyard during happy hour. I'd also recommend getting one of the hot pretzels with mustard. The patio, although it does not overlook the bay, is a nice place to sit and eat under the stars.

Reviewed August 17, 2012 via mobile

We were walking around old Portland trying different pubs and stumbled upon this one. We enjoyed the old port atmosphere and craft beers that were on tap so much we came back later that night. We tried a sweet sausage sandwich that was wonderful. The staff are extremely nice.

Reviewed August 12, 2012

I was at the Thirsty Pig for the first time the other night and had a great experience. The selection of beers on tap was great, (especially the Peeper) the different homemade sausages were terrific, and the staff was kind, fun, and really knowledgeable.
I can't wait to go back!