“Portland Maine Visit”

Hampton Inn Portland Downtown - Waterfront
Ranked #6 of 20 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed July 7, 2014

Excellent location-near Old Port shops and restaurants. Friendly, helpful staff. Very nice room with a very nice view. The breakfast was typical of "free" breakfast fare. All in all, I would recommend to anyone.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jane V

Reviewed July 5, 2014

The service given here is the Greatest! The saying you get what you pay for is what you receive when you stay at Hampton. if want to be treated like King or Queen this is the place to stay. When you enter the world of Hampton you got to the best you can enjoy.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed July 3, 2014

I've been to Portland a number of times, but my G/F had not. Last time I stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn right on the waterfront, but it was over $100 a night more expensive than the Hampton which is a block back from the water.

The experience here was excellent and I would rate this Hampton Inn above any of the others I have stayed in over the past 5 years. The building is new, all the staff - from the valet to the checkin people, to the breakfast staff were very friendly and really went above and beyond to help out.

The room was clean and quiet, the bed comfortable. We did eat breakfast there one day (it was fine - nothing inspiring or great, but can't complain about the price). We did not try the brewpub / restaurant on the corner because we wanted to explore downtown a little more.

The HGI is a little newer and a little fancier, but not sure there's a $100/night difference in it. If the price was the same I'd probably stay there, but no complaints at all about the Hampton and the value is definitely better in the summer

1  Thank Raoul M
Reviewed July 2, 2014

My husband and I had a last minute change of plans on a recent trip to New England and decided to spend a night in Portland. As we were driving I booked our room via the website. We got a decent rate for a King room. We valet parked the car with the understanding that we had unlimited in and out privileges. We ended up walking everywhere so it wasn't an issue. The check in procedure was quick and painless. The room was clean and spacious. The bathroom was also clean and spacious. There was no tub but that was fine for us. There were large windows. We were at the back of the hotel so our view was of the town, not the water, but it was still nice. The breakfast in the morning was hot and fresh. Nothing special - about what you would expect from a complementary breakfast at a chain hotel. There is a pub/restaurant attached to the lobby. We had a drink at the bar but no food. All in all we were quite pleased and would stay again if the price was right.

Reviewed July 2, 2014

I could find no fault in the quality of service and amenities in this hotel. It is in an excellent location close to the bustling dock area and within short walking distance to many excellent restaurants.

1  Thank Ian B
Reviewed June 28, 2014 via mobile

I have stayed here once before...last summer and was very happy with our room. This time not do much. In fact, I'm quite disappointed. This room is very outdated and looks like a cheap motel room. On a positive, the staff was friendly and did let us check on early. If I stay here again, I'd request the room I had last year.

• Stayed: June 2014
3  Thank Dianne R
Reviewed June 26, 2014

I stayed 2 nights at the Hampton Inn Portland, Maine. It was in an ideal location, close to the waterfront and restaurants in the area.

Check-in was quick and easy. When I arrived to my room, I was pleasantly surprised to see two nice big windows. They both looked out over the parking lot, but I liked the bright natural light that came into the room.

The room was nicely decorated and had a big screen TV. The bathroom with shower, was also large.

Sleep quality was very good. During my first night there, I woke up to a baby crying in the room next door, but the walls were so well insulated, that it did not disturb my sleep. I quickly drifted back to sleep.

The complimentary breakfast was nicely presented, and had a variety of hot and cold offerings. The dining area was comfortable as well.

I tool advantage of the complimentary shuttle to take me to my work location, and back to the airport for my departure home.

I would stay here again, and recommend it to others.

Room Tip: A room at the end of the hall will give you two large windows.