“Nice Lunch”

Cuisines: French
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Congress
Description: James Beard nominated French Bistro in the heart of the Old Port.
Portland, Maine
“Nice Lunch”
Reviewed March 12, 2014

A friend and I came here on a weekday afternoon for lunch during Maine Restaurant Week. I had been here once before a couple of years ago for Sunday brunch. I already knew that they were meat-heavy and in particular have taken issue with them serving foie gras due to the suffering which is imposed upon the geese in this process. This is not the only restaurant in this city to serve foie gras. I 'got over myself' and decided to try Petite Jacqueline again anyway.

The restaurant was surprisingly quiet. This is a French bistro, and our table was set with cloth napkins, silver and our water glasses already poured. We sat off to the side in a more out--of-the-way section of the large room, nicely decorated. Our waitress was personable, helpful and attentive during our visit.

We started each with a bottle of Maine Root brand Mexican cola, on the rocks. It was very refreshing. We each then ordered the roasted cauliflower soup, which was served in a shallow mid-sized bowl. It was a decent-tasting soup and needed just a touch of salt and pepper to bring out the subtle flavors. For our main entrée we each had the croque monsieur (essentially, a ham and cheese sandwich) with mornay sauce on top. It was a rich, tasty good-sized portion, perfect for our artery-clogging desires. I skipped dessert, but my companion finished with a delicious chocolate pot de crème and an espresso drink. Lunch was not cheap, even with the $15.00 fixed price each for our two-course meal during Maine Restaurant Week. But we liked our experience very much, especially our waitress.

I will come back, maybe next time for dinner, sans the foie gras.

Visited March 2014

Falmouth, Maine
“Good quality. well done basics”
Reviewed March 11, 2014 via mobile

This is a restaurant that is good for a romantic meal or just as well a large party. We started off with a homemade pork pate – la campagna. It was smooth and creamy and went well with our red Gigondas wine. Several of us had a roasted cauliflower salad with wilted lettuce and others the cauliflower soup. Both were excellent. I had the seafood bouillabaisse and the others the beef Bourgogne . The seafood was a good mix with a nicely season broth. The beef was amazingly tender just like a braised rib. I had a poached pear with chocolate sauce for dessert. Others had a chocolate mousse and a rum cake. We all enjoyed the desserts.
The waitstaff was attentive and helpful.

Montreal, Canada
“Light supper”
Reviewed March 5, 2014

Had a big lunch so we chose this bistro for a light supper. Heard that the chef is from France. Soup was good, a bit salty though. Salad was refreshing but again too much sauce made it too vinegary. But we still enjoyed it compared to the typical American food we had.

Visited March 2014
Portland, Maine
“Nothing petite about this place.”
Reviewed February 18, 2014

Came here for brunch the other day, after dining at 555 I was curious to see how this place did for itself, and was pleasantly surprised by how good the food was. Service I felt could have been better, we ended up getting the salmon and Benedict dishes. nothing bad to say about either dish, everything was cooked very well and the flavors worked together great! we had to try the rhum baba and i'm glad we did, very decadent, caramel sauce drizzled all over too. this place has a great feel to it also, trying very hard to capture the idea of a french cafe. out of all the places to eat in portland this is certainly a place I would recommend and come back to.

• Visited February 2014
Saco, Maine
“Excellent Food and Great Service”
Reviewed January 28, 2014

My wife and I enjoyed a great meal on a recent c-o-l-d evening. The good news...we had a prime table in front of the window, excellent for people watching in Longfelllow Square...the bad news...the restaurant is in an older building with big windows and little insulation, so we needed to keep our coats on during the meal. Oh, well, like camping with a gourmet caterer. Despite the chill, dinner was excellent and our server was professional, informative and friendly. We both enjoyed the steak frites and split creme brulee for dessert. All fo the food was excellent, was the (reasonably priced) carafe of the house pinot noir. The menu items and preparation are very much classic French cuisine, so if you're in the mood for some French comfort food, give PJ a try, you won't be disappointed.

• Visited January 2014