“Culinary Nirvana”

Cuisines: French
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Congress
Description: James Beard nominated French Bistro in the heart of the Old Port.
Reviewed July 18, 2013

As the June 29, 2013 Boston Globe article on Portland stated, if you only have time to eat at one restaurant in Portland, make sure it is Petit Jacqueline. In a "foodie" town this restaurant truly stands out and satisfies all of the senses. Unpretentious interior design but the little buckets of flowers at each table provide just the right added touch. Very friendly and knowledgeable staff provide satisfying and understandable descriptions about the menu. The food is beutifully presented and absolutely delicious. I had a Croque-Monsieur sandwich that bested any every eaten, inlcluding in France. The extensive and expansive wine menu will satisfy all palates. It may be tough to get in but go for lunch or early hours as it is an expierence not to be missed!!

1  Thank DTMNyc

Reviewed July 14, 2013

Just before a recent trip to Portland, our local paper had a guide to the town, with this directive: "if you go to just one restaurant, go to PJ." Oh my, did they get that right! It was special in every way.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

We have eaten at this restaurant twice and always find the food well priced and quite delicious. We are from NYC and eat out quite often. It is a long way from NYC, but we feel it would be a success here!

Reviewed July 4, 2013 via mobile

The food wasn't bad, it just wasn't good. Based on the atmosphere, price, and reviews I had read and received first hand I had high expectations. Our meal tasted ok but it lacked flavor and did not wow us at all.

1  Thank Gr3g65
Reviewed May 29, 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend and I have dined at Petite Jacquiline 3-4 times. We have only ever gone for lunch and everything exceeded our expectations. On Monday the 27th of may, we stopped in for dinner. We ordered a platter of 3 cheeses, one of which (Brie) was very obviously rotten. It had a brownish tint to it and tasted fowl. Then, I ordered my dinner, Fruits De Mar. The description of the meal made it sound like a warm seafood dish that was in some kind of sauce served with a certain type of bread. When I got my dish, the mussels were cold. Cold as in they HAD to be put over ice or in the fridge. The scallops were raw and cold as well. I decided that I must not have understood what the dish was, so I told the host (because our server was no where to be found after she took away the bad cheese) and asked if I could have a burger instead. Well, when we got the bill we were charged for the burger and the Fruits De Mar. I have been a waitress for 4+ years.... If a customer is not happy with their meal and they do not even touch it, they do not pay for it. Especially at an upscale restaurant such as this. I was so upset and felt that I was written off as unimportant. It was just too bad because I have always spoken so highly of this restaurant to my guests at my restaurant in Kennebunkport. I won't be suggesting them anymore. The food was not the issue, it was the lack of customer service and care that has influenced me to never go back.

1  Thank Alyssa S