“Once a ribs place... now gourmet throughout !”
Review of East Ender

East Ender
Reserve with OpenTable
East Ender is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #46 of 617 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: India Street
Description: The East Ender offers new American food with bold New England flavors. Chefs Karl Deuben and Bill Leavy . We source products from local farmers and purveyors. Quality local ingredients allow East Ender to create a menu from scratch and present it in an approachable and affordable way. Seriously good food in a seriously casual environment. A neighborhood meeting place to enjoy house cocktails, craft-beers, and wine that caters to the cuisine. Our menu offers seasonal snacks, salads, sandwiches, entrees and desserts.
Portland, Me
“Once a ribs place... now gourmet throughout !”
Reviewed July 20, 2014

The East Ender sits within a block of five superb longtime Portland favorites... and has now become one of them in it's own right.

The Specials Board” displays the day’s farm to table entrees, apps and salads. Make sure to find it ! There is a full “Bar Menu” that is pub fair with a flair and a full menu that has some spectacular items. The wings are actually brined chicken drums, and are not to be missed ! The lobster Nachos are not to be missed ! Cover an entire platter- gluten free.
Ribs- amazing. Beef cheek burger, outstanding. I could go on and on. Oh- add calamari to the grilled caesar salad.

I eat there often and it was one of Portland’s best kept secrets... alas, not now. I would strongly suggest reservations. Ask for “Upstairs.”

Atlanta, Georgia
“Really good food great service!!”
Reviewed July 14, 2014

Like most of the boutique restaurants in Portland, it's small and noisy but that's the charm too. Ribs were good and meaty (home made sauce was OK); lobster roll is as good as anyone else in Portland and the salmon entree' was great too. They have reasonably priced wines. Did not have the lobster nacho's but the table next door did and they looked amazing - will get that next trip. Elizabeth - our server is a 5 star waitress. She was knowledgeable enough on the wine list and really serviced our table. Always there with a smile and more water or just checking on us. Too many restaurants miss the importance of having well trained, service with-a-smile servers. We'll eat there again. We sat upstairs - great view if by the window.

New York
“So - So”
Reviewed July 11, 2014 via mobile

I stopped here on a business trip on May 12th. I ordered the nachos and the mussels. Maybe I wasn't in a great mood, but I didn't really care for the food. The drink was ok. With so many great restaurants in Portland, I'm not sure if I'll come back here.

1 Thank Tileman1213
Burlington, Vermont
“Very poor service”
Reviewed July 9, 2014

While the food tasted great, issues with the food and service will keep us from becoming repeat customers. We went early in the day to make a reservation for a 10 person dinner party, we liked the ambience and stayed for a mimosa, which is when I found piece of plastic in my drink. After paying I told the waitress, who apologized and said this sort of thing never happened. We decided to give it a second chance, returning for the dinner party that nice. Things were going well until my friend's dinner came out with two short black hairs that did not look like they came from a head. The server asked if she could bring the menu for a different meal, but she had lost her appetite and asked for it to go. We were shocked when we got the bill and nothing was comped, not even a drink and gratuity had been added without the server saying anything. (While we were a large party, most servers will tell you gratuity was included, especially after an error like that). After we paid, we talked to the manager who explained that she knew about the situation but because of the "tone of the table' (ie she did not make a scene or tell others at the table and let it ruin the night) they did not feel it necessary to compensate my friend. I have come to expect a higher level of serve at an establishment where you are paying $20+ an entree. We will not be returning.

3 Thank Naomi F
Portland, Maine
“Fabulous”
Reviewed July 9, 2014

Not a bad thing to say. Been here twice now and each time was perfect! Great service, great food, gorgeous atmosphere upstairs. Will be back many more times