“Don't waste your money! There are far better restaurants in Portland. This was like a chain restaurant.”
Review of 15 Exchange Bistro - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
15 Exchange Bistro
Cuisines: Contemporary
Reviewed October 2, 2011

The service was terrible and the food was just as bad. They served the same veggie and potato sides with all meals....steak, fish, pork - mashed potatoes and stir fry veggies. Simply terribly for the cost.

Reviewed May 5, 2011

The food tasted as wonderful as it looked and I would highly recommend giving this place a try!! The service was prompt and attentive, but not overbearing. The place is a little chilly, but that's because the original brick walls are for decor, not heat retention, so bring a sweater. Overall, great new place, go!

Reviewed April 7, 2011

I have been here for lunch and dinner, which varies quite a bit. Dinner atmosphere is dimly lit and more formal, while lunch is faster and a little more relaxed. Walter's Restaurant was in the same space for 20 years but this restaurant put a bar downstairs and toned things down a bit from Walter's formal space.

The food is plentiful (though maybe too much so!) and the dishes are unique. Good flavors I haven't seen elsewhere. The menu changes a lot so their example on the website wasn't what they offered - and the next week it was different again.

If you can sit by the windows (upstairs or down) you have a view of Exchange which is a nice touch. No complaints so far - will be back!

Reviewed March 5, 2011

I don't usually waste time writing bad reviews, but I must make an exception for 15 Exchange Bistro. During Maine Restaurant Week, many restaurants band together to offer three-course dinners at a reasonable fixed price; this particular restaurant offered thrree courses for $30. It's a great way to try a new place, and the menu listed for 15 Exchange was very both attractive and sophisticated: scampi, duck breast, cioppino. Since Restaurant Week menus sometimes change, I also checked out the menu on the restaurant's web site: shrimp and duck again, along with crab risotto, lobster bisque, and scallops. How could I go wrong?

Well, the restaurant needs to learn something about truth in advertising. None of the above items were available the night we dined there, no shellfish at all, but instead a pedestrian offering of chicken, salmon, beef, lamb, and one vegetarian dish. I ordered Manhatten seafood stew, and amongst the bland sea of potatoes and tomatoes there were indeed a few bits of fish, shrimp, and scallops. My friend had the most interesting dish of the night, a small zucchini stuffed with vegetables and topped with tomato and mozarella.

For mains, we both ordered roast lamb. Instead of the medium-rare we were lead to expect, it was cooked medium well and so overwhelmed by a heavy brown sauce that the flavor was barely distinguishable. The accompanying sautes vegetables apeared to be totall devoid of seasoning. The ordinariness of the slice of the triple chocolate cake was compensated for by its enormous size.

Service was adequate but not attentive. The waiter did not refill our water glasses, ask my friend if she would like a second glass of wine, or offer us coffee at the end of our meal.

Finally, the restaurant was cold. So cold that I wore my winter coat through dinner. Plates so frigid that the food, once it made its way from the kitchen to the table, was lukewarm.

2  Thank Sarafeline