“Small, great stay”

Ranked #7 of 19 Hotels in Portland
Melbourne, Australia
“Small, great stay”
Reviewed July 21, 2010

We arrived in Portland on our third honeymoon from Australia, and couldn't have been happier with our choice of hotel. The Regency is small and friendly, in a beautiful old building that was once the Armory. Very well located, in the middle of town, with a new outdoor dining area which is delightful. Rooms were great. A hint: ask for a room on the second , third or fourth floor. Some on the lower level are partly below street level. Loved our stay, and greatly enjoyed walking Portland.

Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Dahlenburg

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
San Francisco, California
Reviewed July 17, 2010

What a disappointment. Given the amount we spent on our room, comparable to what you might pay at a Ritz-Carlton elsewhere, the Regency was more akin to a Ramada Inn. I wouldn't recommend anyone spending more than $150 on this hotel per night. All of the furnishings are dated, the rooms are spartan and poorly designed, and you don't feel like you are in cool, hip, artsy or historic Portland. You feel like you are in Topeka, Kansas. I am not joking when I say I have seen better furnishings and decorations at a Hilton Garden Inn. The staff was ho-hum. When I asked for a great room to help my friend celebrate her 40th birthday, we were given a dumpy room with a glamorous view of the parking lot and windows that started at the floor and stopped at about 5 feet. The location is great, but what a waste of cash.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
2 Thank SanFranVolley
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed June 26, 2010

Location (Old Port) can't be beat. Complimentary airport transportation is a nice perk. Room was spacious. Food in the Armory Lounge was excellent, as was the service. Front desk service was indifferent. AC unit was loud to the point of disturbing sleep quality. Overall, though, a very good stay.

New Hampshire
Reviewed June 21, 2010

My husband and are frequent visitors to Portland and the Regency. The hotel is in a great location, staff is friendly, rooms clean and comfortable. We always enjoy the Armory Lounge and Ben, who makes fabulous martinis, the best anywhere! We had the pleasure of enjoying a late lunch out on their garden patio this trip, what a lovely setting and experience. I would also recommend you visit the Spa for a treatment during your stay. We love the Regency and it's location and service. Lots of restaurants to choose from within walking distance and the Harbor is only a block away. Our thanks to the Regency staff for their hospitality...we are already planning our next trip.

South of Boston, MA
Reviewed June 8, 2010

My husband & I stayed 2 nights for a getaway. The location in Old Port can't be beat - we walked to everything after handing our car over to the valet.

Our room, on the 3rd floor, was bright & clean. However: the spare pillows in the closet were stained & musty-smelling (the cases were happily changed upon request to housekeeping). And the grout in the bathroom was very stained... maybe it's just me, but if you're going to have white grout in the bath, then find a product that keeps it white.

The staff was always friendly & accommodating. Their recommendations were spot-on.

My husband & I both had massages in the spa, & were more than pleased with the experience. That area appeared to be immaculate. Once again, the staff was top-notch.

We had breakfasts at the hotel restaurant. They are OK, & a bit pricey. The hotel is a short stroll to the Fore Street Grill for dinner, which was simply outstanding. Don't miss it.

In Portland, the first Friday of every month in the summer is 'open studios' in the art district. Galleries stay open in the evenings and serve wine, beverages & crudités. It made for a very pleasant evening stroll.

Overall we were pleased with the hotel & would recommend it for a leisure trip to Portland.

Southern U.S.
Reviewed May 23, 2010

The location is superb for travelers in downtown Portland. . just a little more attention to the details that make a hotel great could go a long way in taking the Regency to the tops.

When you drive up to the front, the red carpeted stairs to the lobby always need cleaning. Surely there is some way some one can keep trash and dirt off these steps. . a bad first impression..

I had problems finding my room. . .front desk sent me on my way to the room with bellman coming. . .I couldn't find the room. . Now follow this. . lobby is on second floor. . you go to first elevations and see there are 100 numbered rooms on the first floor below. I go there and my room is not there. . back up to the lobby. . it seems as though some of the 100 rooms are on the ground level and that first elevator does not go to the ground floor. You now go back to the end of the hall to a small drab elevator that looks like it is used for service and there is a Ground level and my room. . . This was all way too confusing. Why couldn't they renumber all floors correctly or put a G in front of the ones on the basement level.

Staff is friendly and nice, rooms are large, not particularly updated but certainly okay. Being on the ground level with only part of the window at sidewalk level didn't allow for much natural light but I managed.

Overlooking the negatives above, this is a convenient and good place to stay in Portland.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed May 20, 2010

The Portland Regency Hotel was the perfect place to stay. I stayed for one weeknight following a business meeting, and enjoyed its spacious and clean rooms, and the close proximity to all of the downtown shops and restaurants near the waterfront.

The staff could not have been any nicer or more helpful and I would definitely stay there again when visiting Portland.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business