“Thanksgiving Dinner”

Portland Regency Hotel & Spa
Ranked #10 of 21 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed November 26, 2009

Not only was the cuisine and service superb, but the friendliness and professional quality of the staff is non pareill. I would even say it was Guide Michelin quality. 21 Milk St. is the name of the hotel's restaurant and is situated in a cozy and perfecly -sized room. A fireplace and comfortable chairs and an antique feel add to the aesthetic experience. We plan to come up again from Boston on Amtrack's Downeaster just to experience it again.

Stayed: November 2009, traveled with friends
SLMTheRegency, Social Media Consultant at Portland Regency Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded December 1, 2009

We are so glad to hear that you enjoyed your Thanksgiving dinner at 20 Milk Street. Indeed, the fare was deliciously prepared and we were thrilled to share the holiday with so many of our valued friends.

We look forward to your next visit from Boston!

The Portland Regency Hotel and Spa

Reviewed November 26, 2009

This hotel seems quite high end when you first check in. The parking valets are
very good and very pleasant and helpful. However,as time moved on it turned out to be a
disaster.
My wife planned a Thanksgiving getaway for two days and this seemed like a great idea. On Thanksgiving morning we asked if we could be accomedated in the dining room and we were informed by a member of the wait staff thatfor guests of the hotel it shouldnt be a problem but they were full . However, someone would call our room or cell phone and take care of it.
We arrived back at the hotel at 11 am and I excused myself and asked the woman
at the podium about our seating for dinner. She informed me that she was aware of the situation and that there was one party ahead of us and that their lounge served Turkey dinner. I read this to mean I am very busy and cannot be bothered by a guest of the hotel. I tried to make he aware of my problem on two more instances but it was to no avail.
I then went to the front desk and explained the situation and again gained no ground. Then I asked the front desk person if she could reccomend a restaurant in the vacinity. She informed me that the only places open, one or two were casual burger type
places.
At this point in time my wife and I decided to leave the hotel even though we had al
ready paid for our second night. The same woman at the front desk made no effort to stop us from leaving or help us solve our problem.
She did keep repeating she was sorry and informing me that this hotel never gets
complaints. Is this a game or is she clueless?

1  Thank billy46water
SLMTheRegency, Social Media Consultant at Portland Regency Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded December 28, 2009

I am sorry to hear that you were dissatisfied with your experience over the Thanksgiving holiday and do hope that you'll give us another chance in the future.

With that said, I have investigated what transpired and would like to offer further explanation.

As you can imagine, our Thanksgiving dinner is quite a popular event, which is why we require reservations. At the time you requested accommodations in our restaurant, we were fully booked and had been for quite some time. Because you were a guest in the hotel, we were more than happy to try and accommodate you, and my understanding is that you and your wife were offered an earlier table, which you declined in favor of waiting for your preferred time.

When our restaurant manager realized that she was likely not going to be able to seat you at your requested time, she suggested you might consider dining in the Lounge - not because she was too busy to be bothered, but because she was considering your time and the wait that she knew you were facing.

Again, I would like to apologize on behalf of our hotel and am sorry that you felt the need to check-out early. I do hope that we'll have the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Reviewed November 15, 2009

We've been coming to the Portland Regency (from Connecticut) for about 8 or 9 years now. We love the hotel and staff and it is our favorite place for R & R. The hotel itself is a historic one. We stayed for years in the rooms with skylights -- we found them charming but I can understand that not everyone would. The last few years we have opted for the Regency Suite -- reasonably priced in the off-season. The room is large and has a fireplace. The bathroom has a two-person jacuzzi. They have renovated many of the rooms (including the Suite) and have new and updated decor, linens, etc.
The staff here are incredible. In probably 20+ visits we have never had a bad experience. Everyone is friendly and helpful. We have found the bell/valet staff to be very energetic and efficient.
We LOVE the Armory Lounge. It is cozy and inviting and the food is varied and interesting. We eat breakfast at 20 Milk St. and love it there. We get there early and try to get the table in the dormer. Try the Eggs Benedict -- or a new Sunday Brunch offering, the Bananas Foster French Toast -- to die for. We've done dinner there as well, excellent service and wonderfull food.
I tried the spa this visit -- first time. The facility is comfortable and relaxing -- everyone was courteous and the massage was great.
Our room has a coffeemaker but I'm not sure if they're in all the rooms. They have coffee available in the lobby lounge from about 5 AM. I am actually very fussy and go around the corner to Starbucks. :)
Internet is great -- a few years back they had a little difficulty but an upgrade took care of that. All my devices -- computer, phone, ipod touch, etc. connect without a problem.
What else can I say? This is not a big hotel chain but it is so much more personal and the staff go out of their way to make you feel welcome. This is why we'll be back again and again.

Dear Laura,

Thank you for your kind words! We truly love hearing from guests that take full advantage of all our hotel has to offer - from the Lounge to the Spa!

As a quick aside, I have to agree, the Bananas Foster French toast is one of the most delectable brunch items on the 20 Milk Street Menu.

We look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Warmly,
The Staff at the Portland Regency Hotel and Spa

Reviewed November 8, 2009

I would highly recommend this hotel. The staff is friendly and accommodating (except that I could not get a coffee maker in the room.) We had a great stay. There is a convenient shuttle to take you to and from the train and airport. Really a nice place! The restaurant was very good as well, although I must comment that the service was actually too much. They need to calm down a litlle. Great place to stay, eat, relax!

Reviewed November 3, 2009

We stayed here for the first time and would certainly return. The location is right in the center of the Old Port and excellent for walking around the city. The service was wonderful. The room was lovely although as others have noted there did seem to be a fair bit of water noise in the pipes.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 21, 2009

The hotel is in an excellent location in the Old Port within walking distance of shops, restaurants and theaters. We found the staff to be very friendly and helpful. This is not a cookie cutter hotel; it is in a refurbish in a 100 year old Amory giving each room its own charm. Our room was very nice with great amenities. There are many great restaurants and bars to choice from, lots of little lobster restaurant which adds to the Maine charm. We had coffee and dessert at the Twenty Milk Street Restaurant which is in the hotel, very reasonably price and excellent quality. The highlight of our stay was watching two cruise ships come into the harbor; one of the ships was the ship we will be on in January an extra thrill.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed October 17, 2009

After a bad night at a local B&B, we switched to the Historic Regency for two nights, and enjoyed our stay. The staff was helpful, beds were comfy, and the bar & restaurant decent. No need for a car because you can walk to almost anything downtown. Would definitely stay again

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple