“Great historic hotel, the best in Portland!”

Portland Regency Hotel & Spa
Ranked #8 of 20 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed April 7, 2013

I live in Portland and this is by far the nicest hotel we have here! I've stayed here twice and the the staff is excellent, they upgraded our room for free for the night because they had some open rooms! Nice clean and quite room with a deck that overlooks part of the Old Port. Best sleep I have ever had! The Armory Lounge is right downstairs where the bar tenders are wonderful and the drinks are perfect.

Room Tip: The rooms with the Balconies are the best!
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed March 28, 2013

Possibly Portland's nicest hotel. Perfectly comfortable and we enjoy staying there for its convenience to the Old Port and the Casco Bay Islands. Best to try to secure a room on the east side of the hotel since the noise on Market Street can be annoying or distracting. (Fore Street Billiard hall is the culprit.)

1  Thank BWSiegenthaler
Reviewed March 24, 2013

The hotel is in a historic building, but the rooms have been updated - so, it doesn't have that haunted mansion feel. The rooms were fine and clean, but I have to say, there were two amenities that really stood out to me.

#1) complementary coffee delivery - In the evening you can call the front desk and ask for morning coffee. They deliver a carafe of coffee outside your door at whatever time you specify. Brilliant!

#2) fitness center - the center has a lot of equipment (I used it in the evening and had the entire room to myself) and, you have access to the spa locker rooms... which have steam room, sauna, showers, etc. A nice perk.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed March 18, 2013

So the good .... the hotel is ideally located in the center of downtown within walking distance of everything including great restaurants, bars, and shops. The Armory Bar at street level is a lot of fun ... low lighting, dark woods, usually bustling and plenty of seating. Attentive bartenders top it off making it a great hangout - mostly people over 30.

As for the so so .... the rooms. although clean and modern, are nothing to speak of. Our room was quite dark (I am a creature of the sun) and it took half an hour for the heat to kick in once we turned it up.

The restaurant is beautiful blending the perfect mix of modern and historical with plush seating and large windows to let in the sun. Our server was attentive, but breakfast was nothing to speak of despite being pricey.

Room Tip: Third floor rooms have been renovated and have modern bathrooms.
Reviewed March 14, 2013

My husband was kind enough to book massages at the Regency for my sister and I. The location is fantastic and with sparse parking I appreciated the perk of valet parking. The therapist was super . I would recommend the following: Book as far in advance as you can. I had to share a treatment room with my sister and was not able to have a hot stone massage. I would also recommend that if you are getting anything at the spa as a gift, ask them to run your card with you. I had to sign for the massages and would have preferred to have not seen the price. I have stayed at the Regency before and am never disappointed.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 14, 2013

I have nothing bad to say about this hotel. The room was great and very clean. The view from the balcony was a welcomed site to wake up to every morning. All of the staff we interacted with was very friendly and the food/drink/service we had in both The Armory and 20 Milk Street were impecable.

Reviewed March 8, 2013

My wife and I recently visited the Portland area and book a couples massage at the Spa in the hotel--we did not stay there. It was a lovely experience. We had complimentary valet parking when we arrived--a real necessity in downtown Portland. The spa was very nice. It was a fairly typical layout, but the staff was very welcoming and the massage was terrific. Interestingly, we were using a gift certificate we had been given for an anniversary almost 8 years earlier. It was accepted without issue and we even had some money left over for my wife to buy some spa products.