“Great location, helpful staff, comfortable room.”

Portland Regency Hotel & Spa
Ranked #9 of 21 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed February 22, 2013

Came to Portland for a long weekend and stayed her on recommendation of friends. Overall our stay was great and the staff was very helpful. Had a flood into our room Thursday night from the room above and it was handled very well. Was offered another room but since none of our property was flooded and we were all unpacked and it was going to be a smaller room we declined. They offered us $20 bar coupons or a discount on the room for that night and I should have taken the room discount! The Armory Bar was too crowded the rest of our stay to even get a seat so we couldn't use our coupons...
The in house restaurant was great as we had breakfast there 2 mornings. John our server was very attentive and the food was excellent.
As I said the bar was jammed Friday and Saturday and very loud. Couldn't get a seat anywhere.
This hotel is very centrally located making for easy walking in the Old Town district.
We'll be back in warmer weather and will be staying here again we hope.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms on the lowest level as they are at or below street level and you'll have headlights...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,003)

Reviewed February 18, 2013

My husband surprised me with a night's getaway for Valentine's Day. We stayed in room 420, which had a roof top deck. The view was fairly nice but not spectacular. The room was clean, the bed was comfortable and the bathroom was awesome. The furnishings were nice and modern.

The location can't be beat for walking around the Old Port. The Armory Lounge was nice for a drink or two, but then it was so easy to leave and hit the other places in town.

The price is a bit higher than we like to usually spend, but it was worth it this once.

2  Thank iggie394
Reviewed February 17, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for a single night just to get away. I was impressed by both the room and the service. We stayed in a king room on the 4th floor (deck suites -- I think they are called). The room was freshly renovated with a comfortable bed, new flat screen TV and two nice sitting chairs. The bathroom was modern, spacious and very clean. Linens and towels all looked and felt fresh. The hotel provided complimentary coffee at our door in the AM, a nice touch. Visitors should expect that parking is valet only and $12 per night.

We had dinner nearby at 555 Congress (excellent) - the hotel drove us over saving us from a chilly walk - again a nice touch. I have stayed at several other hotels in the area -- the room, location and service puts the Regency at the top of my list.

Room Tip: I would expect that some of the lower floors might be a bit nosier owing to the hotel's location...
Reviewed February 14, 2013

Last weekend was the second time staying at this hotel. This time around my friend and I went during the blizzard and had a relaxing time, it's quite possible that the pub and restaurant were the only places in Portland serving food! The pub is quaint, cozy and the food is great. The staff is friendly and very helpful. Unfortunately we did not spend time in the spa, but will the next time when my husband and I go down in March. The rooms are comfortable and clean, it's a great hotel. It's funky but modern. I plan on staying at this hotel whenever we go down to Portland. I hate to let everyone in on this wonderful place!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank steasil
Reviewed February 12, 2013

Stayed at the Portland Regency over Thanksgivng weekend. It was a excellent location right in Old Port and could walk everywhere. Reminds me of Europe with the cobblestone streets. I lived in Portland for a few years, and we took a trip back to visit for the long weekend. The hotel is a historic building, but the interior looks more like the 80's once you leave the lobby. The decor was not updated. Although we stayed in the new King suites with balconys. They were nice as you could overlook Portland and the Bay. The room was nice, but furnishings were not 5 star. Bathroom was very sterlie, poor shower, low ceilings, no photos seemed like not finished yet. The bellman were very quick and helpful for valet when we needed to get our car. Overall good visit.

Room Tip: King Balcony Suites
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 12, 2013

We have had the pleasure of staying at the Regency a couple times and always on New Years Eve, the rooms as well as the accomodations are top notch and not to mention it is one of the if not the most Historic Hotel in Maine constructed from an Armory. If you are looking to explore Portland and the Old Port..look no further its centrally located with plenty of food, shops and entertainment all within walking distance!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 1, 2013

We have stayed at The Regency on 4 occations using their "Old Port Get Away" package. What a truely nice hotel. Their package includes breakfast on Saturday and brunch on Sunday. Within walking distance from the waterfront, old port, and to many good restaurants makes for a wonderful and relaxing winter weekend. Couple that with a ride on Amtrak's "Downeasted" and now you really have the makings of memorable weekend get away.

Room Tip: All room locations are good some wth views of the old port.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends