“Limited”
Review of Victoria Mansion

Victoria Mansion
Ranked #8 of 159 things to do in Portland
More attraction details
Owner description: Victoria Mansion is closed for the holiday season and will reopen May 1, 2018. Victoria Mansion, also known as the Morse-Libby House, is the finest example of residential design from the pre-Civil War era in America. With superb architecture and well-preserved original interiors that were among the most lavish and sophisticated in their day, it is an unparalleled document of America’s highest aspirations in architecture, interior design, and the decorative arts. Our history, a quick tour, and our present-day efforts at restoring the Mansion convey an impression of the significance of this unique site, which is of national and even international importance.
Reviewed August 13, 2011

I was really looking forward to this house tour. It was loud and crowded so I could not hear half of what was said. Unlike all if the other mansions I have visited, this one allows no inside photography. The house is nice, but there were a lot of room we were not allowed to see. I rate this attraction just so so.

1  Thank Kim S

Reviewed August 11, 2011

If you love history, you must see Victoria Mansion on Danforth Street in Portland, Maine. Several tours are given an hour by well versed guides. The house is spectacular with 90% of the furnishings original to the mid 1800's brownstone. The gift shop in the old carriage house is lovely and full of wonderful items.

3  Thank Sandra H
Reviewed August 6, 2011

My husband and I are not big antique or Victorian era fans, but we really enjoyed this tour. This is a very interesting house and the story of the couple that built it is fascinating. There are many beautiful things in this home, but the most striking for us was the stained glass windows and art. The tour guides are very friendly and informed. We would have rated it 'excellent' but the bathroom (water closet!) and kitchen are under renovation so we didn't get to see them, and we imagine that would have been very interesting.

3  Thank HaloTraveler
Reviewed June 25, 2011

This is an incredible home which was built before the civil war. It had wall to wall carpet, running water, central heat, gas lights. The use of plaster on ceilings and at doors was skillful. The tour guide did a good job. There is not that much to do in Portland, but this you should do. As a note, Portland parking is terrible - you can't find it - it's expensive and I was told they will ticket you in a heartbeat. I didn't get a ticket but I believe the meters have less minutes in an hour than a standard hour!!!!!!!!

4  Thank RobertR238
Reviewed May 23, 2011

This is a wonderful place to see how wealthy Victorian gentlemen spent their money and it was only a summer home! We have visited such places many times but this one knocked our socks off particularly the Turkish design smoking room! Friendly tours are given and there is a lovely, well-stocked gift shop. Pleased we didn't miss this experience - you could almost smell the cigar smoke and hear the ladies chattering over tea!

7  Thank flowerlady64