“Great Atmosphere!”
Review of Gritty McDuff's

Gritty McDuff's
Ranked #2 of 29 Nightlife in Portland
More attraction details
Owner description: Gritty McDuff’s, Maine’s Original Brew Pub specializes in hand-crafted English style ales and traditional and creative pub fare, in a friendly and fun atmosphere. Both Gritty's fine ales and the pubs have won countless "best of" awards through our twenty-six years of operation. Our standard brews are session beers, Gritty’s Pub-Style Pale Ale, McDuff’s Best Bitter, Black Fly Stout, allowing one to have multiple beers within a reasonable time period without overwhelming the senses. Our seasonal and varietal ale offerings are more adventurous, some with a higher ABV, and some with higher IBU. We brew a beer for all craft brew palates. For the diner, we offer traditional pub fare alongside not so traditional specialty items. Our pub-style long tables with benches easily accommodate parties of all sizes and add to the camaraderie.
Reviewed February 28, 2013

This is a seat-yourself pub with wonderful atmosphere. It has great beer selections and good pub food. We sat at the bar and the bartenders were attentive. It's a great place to take a break from shopping and sight seeing and get some food. It's a very relaxed and everyone made us feel welcomed. It's right in the heart of downtown Portland.

2  Thank HappyTraveler1202
There are newer reviews for Gritty McDuff's

Reviewed January 23, 2013

Delicious variety of beer produced in house, a fun upstairs bar and a tiny comfortable 'patio' bar downstairs. And the food is good, hot, and pretty cheap. All things that add up to a great brew pub.

1  Thank Sean W
Reviewed October 5, 2012

Nice little place that wasn't too crowded. Had a pleasant waitress who was good but not great. The beers were OK but again nothing to write home about. The chicken stacker was really tasty but the mac and cheese was pretty basic, though the breaded jalapenos were a nice touch. Overall not a bad experience but there are certainly better restaurant in the city to spend your money.

Reviewed August 29, 2012

I love great beer. This was not great beer. It was OK beer. And the food sucked.

I came here at a suggestion of a local it being, "in the touristy part of town, but not the most touristy kind of place". I'd agree that's fairly true, and that's frankly the only reason why this review isn't a one-dotter. I was there for dinner on a Thursday and it was still fairly full for a non-weekend evening. It seemed to me that a lot of the customers were of a more local variety.

At first we came in via the back / downstairs accessed through the cobbled alleyway and it seemed like a quaint dive. Walking around (actually trying to see if there was anyplace better close by), we found the front which proved it to be a slightly larger and slightly less of a dive. Seating is bar top, high tables, and long shared bench seating. Even though it was a weeknight not-too-late dinner time, I was carded at the door.

For all the amazing breweries in Portland, I hate that I wasted my one night out here. It's as if they took the definition of each brew they were trying to make and just managed to hit the mark. Yes, that's an IPA. Yes, that's a brown ale. But I'd be hard pressed to say anything more about it. The cider seemed almost soured. The most drinkable was Vacationland.

We actually were excited about the "best homemade veggie burger in town" and the "Vegetarian Ruben Sandwich". It's hard to find vegetarian bar food. But oh man was it bad. The "Ruben" turned out to be slaw on a kaiser (not even rye), and the burger was so dry that I only ate half and that took copious amounts of condiments. We would have left hungry if not for the Sweet Potato Tots, which were alright.

In summation: This place is a no go. I'm sure there is much food in town and I Know that there's better beer.

Reviewed July 29, 2012

When my husband and I travel to a place with a brew-pub we generally eat there one night and we did just that on our trip to Portland in June. We had no problem getting seated on a Friday night around 6:30 at a long table. We were the only ones at the table until just before were leaving at which time a group of 4 was also seated at the table . My husband ate the pulled pork sandwich with sweet potato fries. I ate the swordfish sandwich with coleslaw. The atmosphere was comfortable—casual and clean. The food was fine. The beer was good. The service was good.