“Typical Brew-pub”
Review of Gritty McDuff's

Gritty McDuff's
Ranked #2 of 29 Nightlife in Portland
More attraction details
Owner description: Gritty McDuff’s, Maine’s Original Brew Pub specializes in hand-crafted English style ales and traditional and creative pub fare, in a friendly and fun atmosphere. Both Gritty's fine ales and the pubs have won countless "best of" awards through our twenty-six years of operation. Our standard brews are session beers, Gritty’s Pub-Style Pale Ale, McDuff’s Best Bitter, Black Fly Stout, allowing one to have multiple beers within a reasonable time period without overwhelming the senses. Our seasonal and varietal ale offerings are more adventurous, some with a higher ABV, and some with higher IBU. We brew a beer for all craft brew palates. For the diner, we offer traditional pub fare alongside not so traditional specialty items. Our pub-style long tables with benches easily accommodate parties of all sizes and add to the camaraderie.
Kinnelon, New Jersey
97 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 119 helpful votes
“Typical Brew-pub”
Reviewed July 29, 2012

When my husband and I travel to a place with a brew-pub we generally eat there one night and we did just that on our trip to Portland in June. We had no problem getting seated on a Friday night around 6:30 at a long table. We were the only ones at the table until just before were leaving at which time a group of 4 was also seated at the table . My husband ate the pulled pork sandwich with sweet potato fries. I ate the swordfish sandwich with coleslaw. The atmosphere was comfortable—casual and clean. The food was fine. The beer was good. The service was good.

Visited June 2012

Portland, Maine
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“Brewer is good Chef is not.....”
Reviewed June 10, 2012

Went to Gritty's Portland for my birthday because i enjoy their draft beer. They have the beer part down......they just ned to work on the food part. Not that the food is bad but when you want a burger - this is not the place to go. The burgers seem frozen and without taste. Then they put them on these buns that are like 4 inches thick to make them look bigger.....not sure - just not good. They used to make these chips called "Gritty's Chips" now they seem to just give you potato chips. They should learn how to make burgers like Great Lost Bear......heck 5 Guys is right across the street!

AS for the beer - always top notch - just great. I go in for a beer i stay for some food - i leave feeling - it was just Ok.......Great Beer + Slightly Below Avrg Food = "Just Ok"

Visited June 2012
Maryland
90 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 188 helpful votes
“underwhelming”
Reviewed June 3, 2012

After visiting many breweries in Portland and shopping at LL Bean in Freeport we came here for lunch. While not exactly bad, I was expecting more from such an established chain. The food was okay--lamb burgers are a novel idea, but the soup of the day was barely lukewarm. Trying the beer sampler yielded a good assortment of styles that were adequately executed--the IPA and the raspberry wheat were probably the best).

It was the Friday before the holiday weekend but not really very busy, so I was surprised to see so many apparent employees. Unfortunately, it was hard to tell who was working and who was just there to hang out. The bartender in the dining room seemed to be the only one putting her work first. It was okay for lunch but I won't be hurrying back soon.

Visited May 2012
Cornwall, Canada
90 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 207 helpful votes
“A must see While in Portland”
Reviewed May 12, 2012

When in Portland it seems almost mandatory to drop in for a brew. Friendly staff, friendly locals and plenty of choice in good quality beer. We'll be back.

Visited May 2012
Cheshire, Connecticut
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 79 helpful votes
“Great Place for A Beer, and Chips...”
Reviewed January 24, 2012

I have been to Gritty's twice. Once in July, and more recently, on New Year's Eve afternoon. I enjoy the pub atmosphere - the dark woods, old framed portraits, rows of mugs hanging over the bar, and chunky wooden furniture, with glimpses of the harbor. I have found the beer to be quite good. I had a 21 IPA, which is a hearty, hoppy beer. I tried their sampler, and decided that was my favorite of the bunch. I found the service to be attentive, but were there when it was relatively slow. As for the food, it is okay. I had a burger, and I don't remember what my wife had, but she enjoyed it. It wasn't out of this world or anything like that, but I would call it good bar food. Perhaps my favorite menu item at Gritty's, other than the beer, of course, is the Gritty's chips. Awesome.

Visited December 2011