“Nice small museum”

Maine Narrow Gauge Railroad Company and Museum
Ranked #26 of 150 things to do in Portland
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The Maine Narrow Gauge Railroad Co. & Museum preserves and operates Maine's two foot gauge railway equipment for the education and enjoyment of the public. Visitors can enjoy a scenic train ride along Casco Bay or explore the museum which features historic rail cars, exhibits and activities for children. The museum is open daily from early May through late October (9:30am-4:00pm) and seasonally for events including the Polar Express. Visit our website for more information including a full schedule of events.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Food available for purchase, Wheelchair access, Activities for older children, Stroller parking, Activities for young children
Fairfax, Virginia
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Nice small museum”
Reviewed August 4, 2012

This is in a rather odd location that can be hard to find, but it is worth a visit. The museum has some interesting exhibits and railcars. But the best thing is the ride on the narrow guage train. It has beautiful views of the harbor. On the ride back, we sat in the caboose and our son really enjoyed sitting in the upper seats there.

1 Thank FREEquentFlyer66

Bangor, Maine
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Okay...”
Reviewed July 25, 2012

My family and I went on the train ride last week and checked out the museum. We had a won a free trip at an auction so did not have to pay for my family of 4. The museum was not interesting to me, but I am not interested in train history. My children enjoyed running around the old trains that they have inside. The train ride was okay- it was about 45 minutes along and the ticket is good for all day, so you could ride repeatedly. My family did get onto the train quickly to get the open car and at the break, the staff was nice enough to ask people to switch sides if they didn't mind so that those on the other side that did not have a nice view could have a turn on the ocean side. We had also been "warned" about the sides of the bench prior to boarding. We have ridden on the train in Ellsworth with is a similar short ride, however they offered much more information in regards to train history. At the break, the conductor did offer to show people around the engine room. My children said they enjoyed other activities on our trip as compared to the train ride.

Minneapolis, Minnesota
97 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 80 helpful votes
“Kind of hokey”
Reviewed July 23, 2012

Nice train ride. The views were just ok. If I was more into trains I might have enjoyed it more. It was ok to do on a morning before we did other activities

Denver
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 42 helpful votes
“Expensive Short Ride”
Reviewed July 17, 2012

I liked the idea of the Narrow Guage and thought it would be a good way to learn more about the history of the area. The train ride was $10.00 and only lasted about 1/2 hour. There was not much in the way of history or information on the area. The conductor did tell us about the bridge that was burned-out, so it was where we would head back.
Ferry ride around the islands a better value.

1 Thank oceangirl1
Georgetown, Maine
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Fun for the whole family..”
Reviewed July 15, 2012

Got a rail buff in your family? This is the place for you! A fun ride and a long look at long-ago railroad equipment.

1 Thank Tom M