“Authentic Greek and More...”
Review of Whaddapita! - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Whaddapita!
Cuisines: Greek
Reviewed December 25, 2010

Whaddapita is a great restaurant in Portland...open for less than a year and it is very popular. Having lived in Greece for 6 years, I honestly feel I can comment on Greek cuisine, The owner is from Greece and he knows how to cook and has trained his chefs well. I love the Greek salad, which even comes with homemade rice -stuffed grape leaves. The chicken souvlaki dinner or in a pita is so authentic Greek...even comes with the fries right in the sandwich. The fried zucchini slices are awesome and the tsatziki is fresh and delicious. The have beef and lamb dishes as well (although I cannot comment as I don't eat red meat or lamb), but other members of my family do and I am told both the beef and lamb souvlaki are fantastic as well as the gyro dishes...in fact, the menu is quite diverse, but not too large as to have an effect on the quality of the food and preparation. Whaddapita also serves terrific desserts (baklava, etc.) as well as Mythos, a Greek beer. In the warmer weather, there are tables outside for al fresco dining. They do play Greek music, which helps to set the mood, although it is mixed with unappealing rock, which totally counter influences the European mood. The decor inside is all bright colors and although spotlessly clean (restrooms too), I would like to see more feel for Greece...framed Greek posters and/or Greek artwork. Still, I honestly feel like I am in Athens dining in a local taverna. You order at the counter, but they serve you at your table...We have eaten here four times and have also had take-out...We will be going back often (especially now that The Greek Corner in the Old Port has closed). I should add that you can watch as your meal is prepared, which only reinforces the cleanliness and professionalism of the restaurant. If you are in Portland and you love Greek food...you should head right to Whaddapita on Forest Avenue.

2  Thank BeeMelissa
There are newer reviews for Whaddapita!