“Tasty Sandwiches”

Ranked #105 of 605 Restaurants in Portland
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Reviewed January 4, 2014

Was in town in the fall visiting family and had driven by this place a few times. Decided to give it a try - my fiance and I were both impressed! Food was generously portioned, reasonably priced, and tasty. We're not from the South but have visited quite a few times and while it wasn't that - it was really good. Will definitely be visiting again.

Reviewed December 25, 2013

This is a quick bite place but the food is good and the service is excellent. The set-up is almost like a fast-food style but the Louisiana-style food menu are all very delicious. The prices are reasonable. Highly recommendable for travelers to Portland.

Reviewed December 2, 2013

I have gone to Po' Boys many times, especially since I live just down the street from them, and it is about time to say something about their food.

I almost always start off with their gumbo. It is absolutely delicious. Spicy, but not overly so and it tastes like it took hours to prepare. Any sandwich on the menu is a winner and is sure to please, but lately my two "go to" sandwiches are the Fried Oyster and the Reuben. I am an avid Reuben fan and they make the best in all of Portland. Their Reuben is tender, juicy and the most flavorfull of any Reuben in the city. The oysters are fried to a golden crisp, not over fried and have a nice briny flavor.

I never used to order anything to drink as I would take our sandwiches home to eat, but that has now changed. We tried their shakes a few visits ago and they have now become a standard for each visit. They are thick enough so that the straw stands up in them but not so thick that you can't drink it through the straw. They are smooth, creamy and taste great.

There are alot of places in Portland to get a good sandwich experience, but I believe that Po' Boys really sets the standard.

Enjoy!

Reviewed November 21, 2013

I have passed by Po' Boys and Pickles literally dozens of times without stopping in. Yesterday, i finally stopped in and had a bowl of jambalaya and sweet potato fries. The soup was packed with shrimp, sausage, and chicken. The rice was not at all soggy and the seasoning was perfect. The Sweet potato fries were also excellent.

I have to say part of why I had never stopped in is that Po' Boys and Pickles doesn't have a lot of "curb appeal" - from the outside, it doesn't look great. But the inside atmosphere was warm - from a wonderful young lady who took my order, delivered my food and then checked back to see that everything was okay - to the Zydeco music playing in the background.

If you are looking for a $1 menu, then the pricing will disappoint, but with sandwiches in the $7-$9 price range and a hearty bowl of soup in the $5-6 range, this is a great example of. "you get what you pay for. And what you get at Po' Boys and Pickles is great food. Not healthy, mind you, but great and authentic Louisiana food.

I look forward to my next visit, because the sandwiches others in the restaurant were eating all looked great, too!

Reviewed October 9, 2013

Can't resist the fried oysters but it all looks good.
Counter service is friendly and prompt.
No atmosphere to speak of.
Great if you're in the mood for Cajun.