“Cajun-inspired, good, local food.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Po' Boys and Pickles

Po' Boys and Pickles
Ranked #127 of 601 Restaurants in Portland
Good for: Dining on a budget, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Gray, Maine
“Cajun-inspired, good, local food.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2012

I think my only gripe with Po Boys is the small building and dining area. That said, this place is great! From sweet potato fries to a menu board full of different sandwich options, you're going to want to keep coming back just to try them all. I washed my Dirty Bird chicken sandwich down with a Thai Iced Tea shake (Thai tea doesn't seem like it would fit with a Louisiana-type menu, but it was delicious!). Great food (none of it tastes like fast food), friendly service, and a great price. Po Boys and Pickles is definitely worth a visit.

• Visited November 2012

Portland, Maine
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A unique and delicious choice - Po' Boys and Pickles”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

The skinny - its pretty awesome.

Great food, a decent beer selection and the staff is friendly/helpful/quirky. Everything I've had from there has been delicious. For first timers I would suggest The Big Chief with some cajun fries and an Abita Turbo Dog. DO NOT PASS ON THEIR TO-DIE-FOR MACAROONS!

Run, don't walk to this fine establishment as soon as humanly possible.

UPDATE: Po' Boys has been a absolute favorite of mine, then I went vegan and thought all was lost :'( However, they do make The Uptown (a fantastic falafel sandwich!) so I was welcomed back into the fold :D

• Visited August 2012
Portland, Maine
“Good Po'Boys.....thats all.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2012

I love louisiana cuisine and was looking forward to our first visit to Po'Boys and Pickles. The food did not disappoint. We both had Po'Boys. I had the debris and my wife had the pulled pork. The were large ($11.99) and delicious. Not quite Louisiana good, but damn close. We through in some gravy fries and it made for a good dinner.
Front of the house staff was aloof. Service was so so. We went for our soft drinks and there was no ice in the machine and the diet pepsi was clear. That problem was fixed in short time.
We get served our meals with no utensils so i had to wait in line to get those. (This place is quite similar to fast food joint)
No salt on the table so a short wait for the counter guy to tell me to find one on another table. There are about 12 tables in the restaurant and 3 salt shakers.
In closing, the food is good. Had the service been good, I would be looking forward to going again. I will go again, but really no rush. The service didn't ask for it.

• Visited September 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Montville, Maine
“Oyster Po-Boys in Maine”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2012

I keep looking for authentic oyster poor boy sandwiches, like you get out of those back kitchen windows in parts of New Orleans. This place does an excellent job, tasty oysters, and the right sauce. I'm fond of baguettes, but their bread is okay. My New Orleans friends who live in Bath think it is good too.

• Visited August 2012
2 Thank CountVernon
Baltimore, Maryland
“Authentic New Orleans grub in Maine”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2012 via mobile

Love this place! Huge sandwiches, great sides and can't miss desserts! The atmosphere is blah, but with food like this...who cares!