“Home away from home”

Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner
Toronto, Canada
“Home away from home”
Reviewed July 28, 2014

I loveeeeed this place. It made me want to move to Portland to be an every day part of this coop. The food was delicious, I tired a locally made blueberry soda that was beyond delicious. The staff was incredibly friendly. The over all vibe of he place was so welcoming. Will definitely be back here.

• Visited August 2013

Orlando, Florida
“Amazing Creative Cool Atmosphere and Delicious Organic Food!!”
Reviewed July 19, 2014

We stopped by Local Sprouts Cafe on a trip to Portland, Maine. This place has such a cool, creative and peaceful vibe. I loved this place as soon as we entered it. We ate breakfast there and sat on an awesome couch and relaxed. The breakfast was plenty and the ingredients were fresh. Check out this place! Cheers!

• Visited July 2014
Portland, Maine
“Not my scene; expensive”
Reviewed January 25, 2014

There are certainly things to recommend about Local Sprouts Cafe. All the meals looked good and my portion of peanut noodle stir-fry was more than generous and very tasty. The bar area--a bar area that I was surprised to see existed--had a decent selection of local beers and micro brews.

But it's also kind of my hippie nightmare. A small hippie nightmare, but a hippie nightmare nevertheless. Local Sprouts is pretentious and far too precious. It's boho for the sake of being boho. If that's your thing, fine. You'll totally dig the couches and, at least when I was there, the group of older women who took themselves and their singing very, very seriously on open mic night. Good for them, I'm glad that they enjoyed themselves.

However, even though my meal could have served four people, I only needed food for one and I was not all that thrilled to pay $15 or so for a plate of noodles and tofu. With two drinks, my meal at this "cafe" came in at over $40.

I also almost lost it in the bathroom, surrounded by chalk writings denouncing anyone wearing leather or anyone who wasn't vegan. It wasn't that the politics bothered me. Rather, there's something oh-so narcissistic about preaching to the choir in the bathroom of a by-and-large vegan restaurant. It all felt a bit juvenile.

I certainly wouldn't return for dinner, but if I were in the mood at lunch for a huge serving of noodles at an exorbitant price, I might go back. Local Sprouts Cafe wasn't a terrible place. It just wasn't my scene.

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank Citizen_of_Amherst
Portland, Maine
“I really want to like this place...”
Reviewed November 7, 2013

local, healthy food, nice atmosphere, great kids area, but...the food just doesn't taste very good. It is OK, not good, yet expensive. I have tried this place at least ten times, keep wanting to like it, but it just isn't working for me.

• Visited October 2013
3 Thank TabithaJordan
Boston, Massachusetts
“Fantastic Vegan breakfast!”
Reviewed October 5, 2013 via mobile

Downtown Portland was a ghost town in the morning, but Local Sprouts was open when I went to explore the city on a weekend trip. The restaurant is super cozy with local artwork on the walls, tables scattered around with mismatched chairs, and a seat yourself environment that makes you feel like you're at a cool friend's house. The service was amazing from the gentleman who took my order at the counter to the lady who brought me my (delicious) vegan pancakes. I came in around 8:30am and there were only a couple of tables occupied, but by 9:00, the place started to get crowded. If you like serenity, come early. If you like hustle and bustle, come in later. Overall, an excellent breakfast experience!