“Varied Menu and Sincerely Friendly Service”
Review of Local Sprouts Cafe

Local Sprouts Cafe
Ranked #163 of 634 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast
Reviewed September 16, 2013

It was difficult the other Sunday, for three friends to decide where to eat in downtown Portland. I am vegan, but did not want my omnivore friends to be denied what they prefer. This place exceeds one's expectations in quality of food and counter service. It is a venue, where food is paid for at the counter, prior to preparation; sit where you like and bus your table in trash/recycling receptacles in the back. There are two clean, private restrooms. One friend had the pollock sandwich and another had a grilled cheese. I had the vegan BLT, with tempeh playing the substitute for the bacon. Beverages are in a cooler, near the cash register. There's a piano and a few tables on the street. My kind of place.

There are newer reviews for Local Sprouts Cafe

Reviewed September 16, 2013

If you are looking for vegan, gluten-free, or just plain delicious locally-sourced food, this is a great place. A diverse menu with interesting choices...the evening I ate there I ordered the smoked ham sandwich with cheddar, kraut, pesto & aioli and had it on gluten-free bread, and it was a symphony of flavor. The gluten-free bread was was amazing, which is hard to find when dining out, which was part of the reason for eating here for me. It was served with a very nice side salad with a sweet and sour vinaigrette. My companion ordered the organic chicken burger with lemon pepper seasoning and enjoyed that choice tremendously. A good selection of beer, hard cider, and other beverages is available.
The atmosphere is indeed very casual...you bus your dishes when you are finished with your meal. Nicely decorated, and there are tons of locals hanging out, enjoying the free entertainment when they have it,or wifi, or just relaxing over a latte.
They have an excellent selection of desserts also, featuring their own and items from Bam Bam Bakery, which is a dedicated gluten-free in Portland. On the way out I got one of their chocolate-dipped macaroons, and it was very good.
So if you are looking for a laid-back and healthy-option meal,eat here.

Reviewed September 2, 2013

Their heart is in the right place - our food was good but the service was erratic. Our tofu-scramble came out with egg, but a correct replacement arrived right away. We sat at the bar in the hope of speeding service, but it's slow all over. The local feel of the coop seems authentic, and was happily filled with art student types.

Reviewed August 11, 2013

This was one of my favourite places I visited on my roadtrip, I was so excited to get the chance to try something a little different. I opted for the Vegan "BLT" as tempah bacon isn't common in the UK so I've never had a chance to try it.

I'm so glad I did, the meal was amazing! The tempah had so much flavour, its too thick to really be compared to bacon but it definitely has a meaty texture. Very filling! For dessert I opted for a vegan cowgirl cookie, as I've never tried one and it was delicious - very sweet but with lots of different add in's so each bite had a different flavour.

I'm only sad I couldn't have stayed in Portland and little longer to try more of this wonderful menu!

Reviewed August 10, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I stumbled across this place on a Friday night and we were thoroughly impressed. The place had a great vibe and the service was wonderful. My wife and I just ordered tea because it was pretty late, but we did try a gluten-free peanut butter bar that was near the register and it was to die for! We can't wait to try the food here.