“Great little place”

Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed August 19, 2014

I really enjoyed my visit to the Olive Cafe. It is extremely small (only one waitress) but they don't skimp on the personal touches. I ordered the chicken kabobs with a side of garlic sauce. My food arrived quickly and was excellent. Given the location I expected the price to be much higher but found it very reasonable. I will definitely go back if I make it back to Portland.

1  Thank KAS7088

Reviewed August 15, 2014

The place is cute and the service and food are both good but for some reason, they have extra charges for just about everything you order. My boyfriend and I are not gluten-free fanatics but we avoid bread for the most part because it makes him feel like crap. So: he decided on the beef tacos ($8.99 for 2) and when told that it came with pita chips but he could substitute for fries for an extra $2 - sure, no problem. I ordered the baked haddock served on rice ($15.99) and the server told me that it comes with a garden salad but that I could substitute for a Greek salad or sauteed spinach. I thought the Greek salad sounded better so I went with that. She told me it would be an extra $4 charge. Fine. Then I said that we wanted to split the Mediterranean plate which normally comes with felafel, tahini sauce, fried cauliflower, hummus and more pita. I told the server that all I was really interested in was the felafel, tahini and cauliflower and could they find a way to make that work? She took our order and off she went. She came back a short while later and informed us that the kitchen told her to let us know that this would be a $4 extra charge. At this point, I was like, "wait, what?" I wasn't asking for extra food, I was just asking to not be brought something that I didn't want to eat and maybe they could throw an extra piece of felafel on the plate or something. Big deal! But no. So she tells me that we can place an order of felafel but not the cauliflower. This really makes no sense to me but I'm like, "fine, we will just have the felafel then". I asked if that came with tahini sauce and she said it did...for $.50 extra cents. Seriously now. It's certainly not about $.50 extra cents. It's just ridiculous. Serve the goddamned felafel with sauce and make up a price for crying out loud. That said, the felafel was fantastic!

2  Thank Michelle M
Reviewed August 9, 2014

This is a fabulous restaurant right in the heart of the historic district. The atmosphere is cozy, a small place that reminds me of little bistros in NYC. The food is outstanding. Wonderful Meditarranean dishes, flatbread pizzas, salads and soups are perfectly spiced and served. We had the Fatoush salad, with roasted cauliflower, cukes, lettuce, and these wonderful warm pita chips that were delicious. Followed with a flatbread with feta, chicken, and a dreamy white garlic sauce. What a find!!

Reviewed July 9, 2014

Really enjoyed a nice dinner here. Food was fresh and very tasty. Spices were just right. Nice atmosphere and friendly staff. Would definitely eat here again.

Reviewed July 3, 2014

When you have had your fill of seafood, come here for something different. A small cafe with a limited menu, but the food is excellent. We loved the chicken shawarma and the salad with falafel. Spices and sauces are yummy. A limited wine and beer selection is also available. Service is friendly and not rushed.