“Fine food in an inspiring setting”
Review of Grace

Reserve with OpenTable
Grace is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #62 of 606 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Bar scene, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Congress
Reviewed March 9, 2014

Bert, our server, set the tone by preparing ice tea at the outset. The duck pastrami was delightful, as was the artichoke and greens salad. I had the large, perfectly seasoned (maybe a little salty) ribeye steak, accompanied by grilled Brussels sprouts. My spouse had the halibut, on a mixture of seasonings, and our son enjoyed the flank steak with a side order of potato fingers. The setting, in a classic old church, is the draw, but the food and a beautiful bar, as well as terrific service, will bring us back.

Reviewed February 26, 2014

We went to this restaurant for the first time and we had a wonderful time. The food is excellent - I had the gnocchi and my husband had the hanger steak. Both entrees were excellent. The cocktails are also great! My husband had a moscow mule and it was actually served in a copper cup. I have never been to a restaurant that has done that.

Our only complaint of the restaurant was the tables - we both felt that they were way too long. I felt really far away from my husband sitting across from me. The table was too big for 2 people wanting to share an intimate dinner.

Reviewed February 6, 2014

We were here a while ago on a Saturday night with a large group (maybe 20 of us, in Portland for a meeting) and we were not impressed at all--not by the food, not by the service, not by the noise and not by the decor. When we arrived, our table was not ready. We awaited a good twenty minutes before they were ready to escort our group to our table. We waited again at the table for our drinks order to be taken and then delivered, before our dinner orders were even taken--and then waited to be served. They were not ready to handle the multiple large groups that they had in the restaurant that evening. The food was mediocre: I don't even remember what I ate that night.

I know that dealing with large groups can be difficult, but everything was so poorly handled from the moment we walked in the door and the food just so unimpressive that given a chance to return for a meal just hubby and me, I still would opt to eat elsewhere, in spite of the rave reviews this place is getting.

2  Thank Peregrina651
Reviewed February 5, 2014

Went with a group of friends to celebrate! The service was great and did not suffer because of our large group. Waitstaff were pleasant and helpful. Food was delicious from beginning to end. The atmosphere is unique in the old church. My first time there but not my last.

Reviewed January 20, 2014

I was extremely disappointed by our recent dinner at Grace. My fiancé and I went with my two children for my birthday. Initially, there was an issue with the reservation (which had been made 3 weeks in advance). We had reserved a table for 4 at 7pm and somehow the reservation was changed to a table for 6 at 6pm. Luckily, we were made aware of the change when we got a confirmation email the night before, so, we didn't miss our dinner entirely. We ended up having to change our plans around to make the earlier time because there were no reservations left for 7pm by this time. Service throughout the entire meal was slow and it almost felt like we were a bother to our server. The food was subpar, considering the meal cost over $250, not including tip. I ordered the 30 day aged rib eye and was told after ordering they had sold out of it that evening. Quite surprising considering how early in the evening it was. The waitress explained it had been put on the New Year's Eve menu and hadn't sold. I ended up ordering the hangar steak. We had 4 different appetizers, foie gras, sweet breads, roasted marrow and a frisée salad. The foie gras was seriously under-cooked, having a texture more like a raw oyster than any foie gras I have had. The bone marrow also was off, with a very gelatinous texture unlike anything I have tried. My hangar steak, while cooked perfectly, was very salty. My daughter's duck breast was quite over cooked and dry with little sauce to make it palatable. Service was slow, with 2 dinners being brought to the table then the other 2 being brought about 5 mins later. The desserts were also a disappointment, quite unlike the awe inspiring desserts that used to be available. Grace is an absolutely beautiful restaurant, with an atmosphere unlike any other in Portland. That really isn't enough to carry a restaurant. We have had great experiences at Grace and we have had awful experiences. In all honesty, the last great meal we had at Grace was in April, 2012. Inconsistency seems to be the most consistent thing for Grace. I'm guessing there has been a change in chefs which is extremely apparent in the quality of the food.

3  Thank yosoycharly