“Local favorite” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Grace

Grace
Reserve with OpenTable
Grace is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #67 of 601 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions, Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Drinks, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Congress
new england
“Local favorite”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2012

I love this place and have visited multiple times. Interior is an old, renovated church. Wonderful ambiance. Food is five star quality and presentation. Service excellent. A bit on the pricey side, but worth it.

Visited September 2012

Winchester
“Very graceful”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2012

Great space, great food. I recommend getting a table up in the balcony to truly appreciate the space. I love how an old church has been transformed into a temple for food with the kitchen as the alter. There are several great cocktails on the menu to get you started and then wonderful inspired food from there. Have eaten there twice and will be back.

• Visited July 2012
Portland, Maine
“Glorious space, food good but uninspired”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2012

Make no mistake; the food here is technically perfectly executed. I just don't find it to be that imaginative. Which is to say they are still operating on that '50's ethos of "meat-potato-veg side" and not an "integrated concept" meal. They make a perfect chicken breast sous-vide, but it's just unexciting. Which is a shame, because their drinks are imaginative and their wine selection is quite good. But still, GO! because the space is still one of the best in Portland! And while the food won't razzle-dazzle you, it is still very well executed. I just stick with something where I can appreciate carnivorous perfection.

Visited October 2012
Ellsworth, Maine
“Fabulous, over the top delicious”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2012

This was our 1st time @ Grace & we had high expectations which were 100% met. All the good reviews we had heard were true. We had an excellent & attentive waiter Bert, who only wanted us to have a fantastic experience. From the drinks to dessert, every course was delicious. We can't wait to return to Portland & go back to Grace.

• Visited November 2012
MaineUSA
“Off Night - Unamazing Grace”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2012

We have attended the Portland Symphony next door at Merrill Auditorium for more years than I like to admit. For the last three or so years we've shared a pre symphony meal at Grace with a couple from up the coast who are both friends and clients of my wife.

Prior to our recent visit, for the fun of it, I decided that I would do a review.

There was a bit of confusion at the host desk and we were actually spotted by our dinner companions who directed us to the table. They had already ordered their drinks. The server was a bit tardy but drinks were ordered - a glass of white wine for my wife and a manhattan for myself. We also told the server that we were attending the symphony. The drinks arrived and my manhattan was fine. We all ordered just entrees - three hanger steaks and a three lamb special for myself. At $38 it was a bit steep but it was advertised as locally raised as was the beef. The meals were served within a reasonable time. All three beef diners reported the steak as tough to cut and not that flavorful. My lamb consisted of a small sausage whlich was ok, some well done meat whose flavor was lost in the sauce and a double cut chop. The chop had a thick, hard outer layer of fat, and the meat portion was tough, a bit undercooked and lacked any significant flavor. It certainly was not worth the high price.

Desert was a tasty chocolate cake with some ice cream on top but a woefully small portion.

I'm not sure if they have changed chefs or we just hit a bad night. Our previous experiences were not like that and we do like the location and the atmosphere. We'll probably give it another shot in January and if we have the same experience we'll move on to another place.

• Visited October 2012