“Big taste - small place”
Review of El Rayo Taqueria - CLOSED

El Rayo Taqueria
Cuisines: Latin, Mexican
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Takeout
Reviewed March 24, 2014

My wife and I have been here several times and have not been disappointed.

The first thing to know is that the place is small and pretty much always busy so you can expect a wait (that's because it's good...). Plus about half of the tables are communal, so you may be sitting next to other diners (families/kids/geezers/sweethearts/hipsters) enjoying the great food. What's so bad about that?

The last time we were there we started with the chips and fresh guacamole - definitely a good choice. Then I had the swordfish taco and the black beans with sour cream and rice. Not too shabby at all! Also washed it down with a bottle of Mexican Coke (real sugar....mmmmm) for the perfect blend of sweet and savory.

Comer con gusto!

Reviewed March 16, 2014

Our first trip there today with wind chills near zero we wanted something to remind us of a warmer climate. We noticed this place last summer when they set up lots of outside seating and looked very interesting. In the winter they retreat back to the small restaurant that must have been a garage at one time. It is tastefully decorated with mostly long tables and a few tables that in total seat about 35 people. We came at lunch and just barely got the last table at noon on a Sunday.

The staff was very friendly and attentive. We sat near the food prep area and you could tell they make everything fresh and are creative with their ingredients. We got the taco plate that included two tacos and a small serving of rice and black beans. It was the perfect portion for lunch and some might think the $10.50 price a little steep for Taco cuisine, however the freshness of the ingredients is well worth it. We’ll return in summer and see how it is sitting outside.

Reviewed January 8, 2014 via mobile

El Rayo was one of our favorite spots to eat in Portland... The service is always on the mediocre side. But we have looked past it in the past. Today sorry to say but we will probably never eat there again. Our server was MISERABLE! The nice lady behind the line left and the kid who replaced her was (sorry for the language) a dick! Everyone in there this afternoon was miserable, we felt as if we were bothering the entire staff by being there. And sadly the food was okay at best. My boyfriend is a chef and I am a server in busy Kennebunkport, we know our standards of service and atmosphere and today's was atrocious at El Rayo. I can't remember the last time I left less then 25% tip, this girl got 15% and she really didn't deserve that. I hope someone reads this and has a staff meeting to get things straightened up, if not I'm sure you will be losing more customers.

Reviewed January 1, 2014 via mobile

The food was great here! We especially loved the gluten free options, and the atmosphere in general was great. The service, solid. Would recommend for a good restaurant to try out! (-:

Reviewed December 11, 2013

We were down on Commercial Street at a warehouse, and one of the guys took us here. It is a colorful dive, and the food is not your usual Mexican fare. I had an Acorn Squash and swiss chard tamale if that tells you anything. It was delicious. The place was packed for lunch, and the service was quick and efficient. Will go back.