“Great Hotel in a Wonderful City”

Residence Inn Portland Downtown/Waterfront
Ranked #12 of 20 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed June 2, 2010

I stayed at this hotel over the Memorial Day weekend. The Hotel is clean and spacious and the staff is very friendly. Several times they went out of their way to make our experience pure joy. The rooms are spacious and modern. The beds were comfortable and bathroom was nice. It is within walking distance on a nice day to most of the downtown "hot spots". Several great restaurants are in the area and within walking distance. Only draw back to the hotel was that parking was across the street in a parking garage. Again not a major issue but I have become spoiled with Valet service. Overall I think this would be a great choice for a family or simply a couple to get away and relax. The pool and workout room was great too! They even served mid day snacks that were surprisingly good for free hotel food. Highly recommend this place!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed May 6, 2010

I just spent 3 days at the residence inn. It was a great hotel to stay at. The rooms were very clean. The location is good for walking around the old port area. We stayed in the 2 bedroom suites. Plenty of room for entertaining. The staff was very accomodating. The breakfast included was a plus.

Stayed: April 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank ddiliber
Reviewed April 30, 2010

$100 pet fee. Bad location in the industrial area.

10  Thank EricNh
Reviewed April 26, 2010

Our first trip to Portland and I picked a winner with this hotel. Squeeky clean, amazing decor - contemporary yet very warm and inviting. Perfectly designed room - loved every convenience at my fingertips! I've never been in a room with so much storage! Couldn't believe the quiet...no sound coming from any other room or bathroom or hallway and our floor was pretty full! Extreme soundproofing. I highly recommend the extra dollars to get a waterfront view on an upper floor, especially if this is a leisure trip. The free van service was a splendid extra. If you're checking out the stores, you'll be shopping after only two blocks! Woudn't think of staying in any other hotel in Portland's Old Port.

2  Thank MiniRita
Reviewed April 24, 2010

This hotel is brand new and feels like it's still finding its way. It seemed sparsely staffed at times and not as friendly and welcoming as it could. When calling the front desk one night (there is no option to call housekeeping) I reached a recording 5 times and the message said "mailbox full".

On the plus side is a brand new feel, kitchen in the room and complimentary breakfast and evening meal most nights. The location was great for walking to restaurants, the ferry etc. Pool area was nice. No locker rooms or sauna here. It was too early to use the courtyard, but that's probably lovely in season.

The lounge areas seemed perpetually closed, the fires never lit. This added to the ghost town feel that was prevalent. If they beef up the staff and service and hospitality, this will be a hard hotel to beat.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank seap0rt
Reviewed April 5, 2010

I am always a little skeptical of good reviews...but this place is the real deal. I am very picky about cleanliness and this place was top notch, no reason to complain about anything. That factor, along with the great design (a little upscale but comfortable and modern) are the top two reasons to stay here. Value is okay, we got a AAA discount at first but were placed in a dark corner room with a awful view...definitely request a upper floor and know that the rooms facing the waterfront are always more (AAA rates dont apply for them either). Staff was nice about switching us though.

The location is a little out of the way but definitely walkable...its basically downtown but off the main drag. The Hilton Garden Inn was a prime location, this place is about 4 blocks down. For the kind of place it is (a Residence Inn) I can see how this makes sense. All in all, a great place and we are looking forward to returning!

2  Thank TheEsthete
Reviewed April 5, 2010

The hotel is modern, clean, a rather okay stay, accommodation wise.
The staff is unpleasant, rather forced if you will.
We stayed there, just this past weekend, I have frequented many Marriotts and affiliates thru the years and this was by far the worst. It is a franchise hotel and does not live up to corporate expectations- by far! The worst is yet to come. The young lady gave me awful directions to the hotel, sending me to the other side of the city and back on the highway, after several hours driving. And after check-in, also sent me in the wrong direction to meet our friends for dinner (as we chose to walk on such a beautiful evening).
Upon departing the hotel, the following day, I received a charge on my debit card for $250.00 cleaning fee. I proceeded to call the hotel in shock. They told me the room smelled of smoke. I have NEVER smoked in my life. The charge will remain, after reading the fine print on my receipt. I thought they should check with the housekeeper.
After speaking to management at this hotel, I would not sent my worst enemy to this location. You are better off in South Portland, at a small but quaint proper Marriott, where I have stayed many times in the past. I worked for Marriott (corporate) for many years and have family that also has (now retired-after 28 years).
I would never recommend this hotel. You are better off at Sable Oaks Marriott, where I have stayed many times of the Hilton (also very close)
Good luck if you choose them. Don't say you weren't warned!!!

14  Thank worldtraveler7883