“Wonderful stay”

Residence Inn Portland Downtown/Waterfront
Ranked #12 of 21 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed January 27, 2014

Stayed here for 5 days. Staff was friendly, competent, and efficient. We stayed in a 1 bedroom suite. It was large, clean, and warm (the outside temperature went below zero). The location is excellent, near the ocean, restaurants, and other port activities.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a water view.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple

Reviewed January 13, 2014

This is a very nice, still relatively new property in Downtown Portland. The location is close to, if not in the heart of, the downtown waterfront area. I found the hotel to be within walking distance to most everywhere I wanted to go. Of course, I love a good walk. The staff is friendly and helpful. Parking for a fee in the deck just across the street.

Room Tip: I always go for higher floors.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed January 10, 2014

We recently visited Portland for a weekend getaway over the Christmas holiday. As our first choice in hotel wasn't available at the time, we chose to go a block or two over, having had good luck with other Residence Inns in other cities. This was no exception. The service was good, we were promptly greeted and given the "skinny" on a free consierge, Barbara, who could help with anything we needed, directions to parking (discounted and in the garage next door with 24 access), and information on happy hour, which they had from 5-6 and 9-10 (note: the bar does not have food, just drinks). They do have a little grocery area for anything you may have forgotten, a little snack or microwaveable meal, drink etc.

The hotel looked very well kept up, even with all of the snow and slush from the week, and our room was comfortable and clean. Having said that - and this pains me to say - the shower left me completely freaked out. The bathroom itself was immaculate. Sparkling white in all areas, but HAIR! I couldn't believe the amount of hair all over the shower. The floor, the tub, the soap trays, the walls - it was hair everywhere -- as if someone shaved their head and left all of the trimmings everywhere. Had I noticed the shower before the morning after our trip (just an overnight stay), I would have asked to be moved. Alas, we are morning shower people so we didn't think to check the shower. This is my only reason for the poor rating on cleanliness.

The hotel itself is right at the edge of the Old Port, a short walk from a wide variety of restaurants, attractions, and breweries. Overall, a nice stay, albeit a hairy one.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lola F
Reviewed December 29, 2013

Great location, modern and somewhat hip lobby. Very friendly, efficient and sophisticated front desk staff. Lobby bar is an unusual R.I. feature. Room was clean and fresh and well-maintained. Recent comments re posted signs re quiet hours probably written by uncouth clods who don't appreciate an especially well-run hotel. Highly recommended for business, personal, or pleasure stays.

Room Tip: Can't use Marriott points for a 2-bedroom. Annoying, but that's the way it is.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed December 20, 2013 via mobile

What a great place to spend some relaxing time. Yes, the parking is what it is and with snow filled streets it's not the most convenient. It still is just a 37 second walk so really not a big deal.

Onto the hotel:

Front desk staff = WONDERFUL, friendly, funny and accommodating

Common Areas= Beautiful, warm and inviting with everyone loving there jobs especially the very nice women who just happily cleared my breakfast plate with a smile. Also, nice bar area for a glass of wine by the fire.

Bedrooms= Best of it all. I have had some issues over the past few months with travel as I use to travel like crazy. At some point it got to me with bad beds that hurt my already bad back, hot rooms with poor AC and simply poor sleep that through me off for a while after.
This place converted me. What a great sleep in an awesome bed. Almost 10 hours of sleep. Ridiculous but true and I NEVER do that....EVER BED did not have that pit like most have. It was soft yet supportive so if you have a bad back, come here as the bed is the best I slept on in a very long while. Room was very comfortable and AC worked as I like a cold room even in the middle of winter. Yes they say it won't go below 68 but it did.

Mary O by the way in the breakfast area is great. Very sweet and she's very friendly as I listen to her talk to the guests.

Overall, I'm not the one who usually writes these as my wife does, but as I sit here in this wonderful place I am trying to come up with reasons to come back.

Thanks Residence Inn from a loyal platinum member!!!!

Hello to my West Hartford friend at the front desk. You were great!!!!

Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed December 17, 2013

The hotel is in the old port district—and the immediate area is business, for example, Shipyard Brewing and Marina services. You are, however, a short walk away from many, many great restaurants and shops.

I will offer up some highlights. The hotel is well-laid out and a very good value. You can park to unload your luggage, either in a turn around at the hotel or at the curb in front of the hotel. The garage is really only a few steps up the block, same side of the street. The garage comes with in/out privileges.

The two women staffing the front desk were very friendly and interested in what activities we had planned. One great thing we did in Portland while there was to attend the Holiday Home tour—decorated homes you could visit and talk to the designers and each home also featured a chef in the kitchen, offering a tasty treat. Plus, your admission supported Gary’s House, which is a “safe, comfortable, and affordable home-away-from-home for families and individuals with loved ones receiving medical treatment in any greater Portland area hospital.”

The hotel has a bar—when we were there, they featured two happy hours in the evening! The bartender was attentive, despite a large and spirited wedding party that was in attendance and keeping him busy. We bought a bottle of wine and he came to our table, talked about the wine—and came back to refill our glasses. Nice touch.

The breakfast in the morning is a full breakfast and good. The place was bustling and the dining area was easy to navigate. Also, coffee is featured throughout the day, serve yourself.

The room itself was an inviting color scheme. There were two of us and the studio suited us fine: seating area, kitchen table and kitchen facilities as well. We found it comfortable and restful.

Another nice touch this Marriott featured was a table filled with holiday cards that the hotel planned to send to our troops in the military. You picked up as many as you would like, wrote your message and then the hotel took care of mailing it on its way. At breakfast, many a table was busily doing just this and it was a great sight. Again, the staff members working in this area were kind and cheerful.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 7, 2013

It's a nice Residence Inn centrally located in downtown Portland. The location is one of its best selling points.

Parking is located in a garage across the street. It's not ideal for transporting luggage back and forth.

The Internet at the business center works great, but the wifi in the hotel room was quite poor making it a challenging hotel for business travelers.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business