“Horrible Stay!”

Portland Travelodge
Ranked #20 of 20 Hotels in Portland

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
LONDON
Reviewed September 27, 2012

very hard to find ..no signs
Motel did the job ---
it would be helpful to have a note in the room with a map to airport and also to indicate where there is a 24 hour gas station
area is not great..outside Dennys police car..run down roads

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Travelodge

Luxembourg
Reviewed September 21, 2012

The short version of the review: Go look to find some other place. Don't stay at this hotel. Just don't.

We needed a play to stay for a night, so what could go wrong? Well, where to start. The hotel is a 15 minute drive out of Portland harbor area, close to something that looks like a town down petrol station. The hotel itself is very worn, old and in a bad shape. The room was outdates and somewhere between "not clean" and "filthy". The bed was terrible. The floor of the tub close to "destroyed". The carpet might start to develop intelligent life in the near future.

The night was no calm. Police paid a visit. Twice. Drunk people had a party on the parking lot.

My first feeling was to turn on sight and find another room somewhere else. I should have! I am fully avare that for the price paid no one could expect a Grand Hotel. But this is a disgrace and I propose Gordon Ramsey should pay a visit. I guess I could hear him scream over here in Europe.

Oh and the WiFi did not work in my room and we left (fled) before breakfast.
Please do yourself a favor and stay somewhere else.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 11, 2012 via mobile

I book the Travelogde from Hotels.com & was very disappointed. Even though I researched it, looking at the actual travelodge website. From pictures of the outside it appeared rather nice. Looking at the website & Hotel.com pictures, we thought for 1 night & close to Portland, ME airport, it looked nice. NOT! The only nice thing about it, was the clerk at the desk, who checked us in. I don't recall her name, but she was very kind & friendly! When we walked inside the lobby to check in, we didn't have a good feeling at all. Access to all rooms were on the outside. The rooms were absolutely NOTHING as pictured on the website! Old, nicked up furniture from the 80's, 2 mismatched chairs, that one looked like dried up sweat & the seats were filthy. T.V. was suppose to be Direct TV, it was and old tube tv with limited channels. Couldn't even get Monday Night Football. Tub insert had been repainted andwas peeling something terrible. The tub was in such poor shape it looked dirty, w/the faucet consistently dripping. There were brown stains streaked across the bathroom door, carpet was in bad shape, & the molding looked like someone had taken a hammer to it. I pulled back the bed covers, and the sheets were clean, but the pillows were horrible! 2 per bed, however, 2 didn't even feel like one pillow. Mattresses were old and need replacing. I woke up with a neck ache, hips & shoulders aching pretty bad. Never again, will I prebook a hotel, thru anyone. I'll take my chances of finding one, & asking to see the room before I commit to staying then getting stuck paying for something I do not feel comfortable or safe in! !

• Stayed September 2012
2 Thank howeygirl
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed August 29, 2012

We booked over one of the Internet hotel sites and knew it was low in star rankings, but figured we could deal with it for one night since all of Portland's vacation rentals are from Saturday to Saturday, we needed a Friday night stay before our vacation officially started. The room was very old and out dated, the bed was uncomfortable, I am betting the mattress has never been replaced. It was not clean to my standards, but hat do you expect for their ranking? The thing that really ticked me off is that check out is at 11:00, and we were just getting ready to walk out the door at a few minutes after, but the front desk was calling wanting to know if we needed to stay another night? I get it that they need to make sure the guests leave, but the parking lot was completely empty, and our room was located on the back side of the hotel, so I felt like I was being stalked. The only reason we were late is because we skipped their "free" breakfast and decided to eat at Denny's next door.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Karen G
jonesy197@msn.com
Reviewed August 24, 2012

room was nasty - old, water stains on walls - shower and toilet were too short and leaking - queen bed was old, uncomfortable, door has gaps and was hard to close. A/C and small refrigerator worked great but that was the only GOOD thing about the room. decor is outdated. continental breakfast was a waste - stale and limited selection. Coffee was weak and not very hot. very disapointing - the on-line pictures show a beautiful hotel with modern upgrades and in actuality they are non-existant!!!!!!

Room Tip: don't choose this place - it's a dive!!! There are plenty of better hotels in the area.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Saint Johnsbury, VT
Reviewed August 23, 2012

After reading the terrible reviews of some guests I was actually dreading checking in for what I might find. But I checked in in spite of the reviews and developed an opposite impression and so was moved to write this favorable review. During my one-night stay I could find nothing to criticize in terms of cleanliness, comfort, or security. The water was hot and immediate and there were plenty of towels. I asked for a non-smoking room got one that smelled fresh and had not a hint of stale smoke or masking perfume. For the low price I paid I would say it was a bargain. Other propertites in the area ask for up to twice as much. There is a Denny's conveniently located at the end of the parking lot. Across the street there is a large outdoor mall with many stores and several restaurants. The property is convenient to freeways. In the morning I drove to the center of Portland in about 12 minutes. I found it to be a good basic hotel and would gladly stay there again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo