“Very Poor Management”

Ranked #19 of 19 Hotels in Portland
kansas
“Very Poor Management”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2012

When the name of this hotel was revealed after booking a Travelocity "Top Secret" hotel, I looked at reviews and tried to get the hotel changed. The manager denied that request and assured me that it would be fine. That was only the first of his lies and deception.

The parking lot was in disrepair. I drove slowly, but was still afraid of bottoming out, or perhaps hitting debris or a dead body in the lot. Our room was small, dirty and poorly maintained. It smelled musty. The drain apparatus in the bathtub did not work. There were only two small bath towels in a room for four people. I went to the front desk to get extra towels and told the clerk about the tub. He apologized, but did nothing. Probably afraid of the manager's reaction if he did anything that might cost a dollar.

I left a note for housekeeping to leave us extra towels each day. The request was honored on the first day, but the bedsheets were not changed as requested. After the first day, repeated requests to leave extra towels were ignored. I wouldn't doubt that they were ordered to ignore it by the manager. I had to go to the desk and wait behind other guests who were checking in so we could all take a shower, including two nights in pouring rain. Great guest service. Not that the manager cared.

By the way, the "restaurant on site" is a Denny's whose clientele more closely resembles a methadone clinic than a restaurant.

After returning home, I contacted Travelocity and Travelodge about this dump. Neither would provide any help. They would only pass the blame off to the other and ultimately to the manager. Travelodge did forward my complaint to him, and he sent me an email BLAMING US for not alerting him during our stay, even though multiple complaints at the desk were ignored.

In summary, this place should be avoided at all costs unless you enjoy poor service, poor facilities and bring told that it is your own fault. Never again will I use Travelocity for anything, and I will warn everyone to stay away from them. The same applies to Travelodge. I doubt that they are all this bad, but it isn't worth the risk. Any corporation that allows their name on a place like this has no standards, anyway.

If there are no other hotels available in Portland, you would be better off going downtown to a homeless shelter than staying in this place. By far the worst hotel experience ever, topped off by a jerk who takes no responsibility and blames the guest.

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank gringo56

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Ipswich, Massachusetts
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2012

I recently stayed at this hotel for one night. I was running the Beach to Beacon 10K on August 4. Upon pulling up to the hotel, you see a run down, old, poorly kept building. The room we stayed in had a cracked security lock. The room was clean, but that is about the best I can say about this place.

I was running a road race, so I requested late check out when I registered at the front desk and they told me to call in the morning to make the request. The only reason I wanted late checkout was so I could shower after the race. I called the front desk at 6:30 am. I made my request and the woman I spoke with asked what time I would like to checkout. I told her noon. She said she would make a note. When I came back from the race at 11:00, the door to my room was open and the maid cart was 2 doors down. The beds had been stripped and the towels had been removed. I took 2 towels from the maid cart and went in the room and closed the door and showered. When I got out of the shower, the phone rang. I answered it and it was the front desk telling me that checkout was at 11:00. I told the woman that I called this morning and was granted late checkout for noon. She said just because I said noon didn't mean I could check out at noon. She said I needed to leave by 11:30. It was 11:20. I said "fine".

This place is not worth the money I paid to stay.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2012

Don't be deceived by the photos of the exterior. In front of the Hotel is a rubble pile from a demolished building, giving the Travelodge a quaint post-apocalyptic air. In behind the motel is a 500 deep quarry, which hopefully some day will swallow this hovel into its maw. Our room, #158, had a cracked window which didn't open, 1960s circa turquoise blue carpet, worn but mercifully clean. The bed was passable. The 'art' on the wall was permanently affixed askew. The motel had a seedy, rent by the hour cachet, that would have suited Bonny and Clyde. The air conditioner, though loud and obnoxious did work. The breakfast in the a.m. satisfied fast food junkies, though the fungus on the apples added little nutrient value. It is clear that the owners see the motel as an 'old' milk cow, and have invested little in maintenance and upkeep. We took a cab from the motel to downtown, which cost about $16.00 each way. Our advice, book early and stay elsewhere. Describing the motel as 'tired' is generous. As the Who sang, "We won't get fooled again"... Boys and girls can you spell D-U-M-P?

Room Tip: We stayed in the rear of the main building which was quiet. The adjacent building faces the freeway...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Halifax, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2012

im not one to ever complaine but this is one scary place we booked online thinking this place was ok ,looking at the pictures .was i ever wrong ...we went to check out our room and it was so dirty ...i dont know if it was just our room but it was bad ,i dont know what room that the pictures were taken in but it wasnt the one they wanted us to stay in...i will say that i booked on line through hotels.com and the guy at the front desk was very helpful he helped me cancel our 2 night stay no prob ,he told me that he gets it all the time...so high five to him....its not his fault that the owners of this hotel are not worried about there hotel being cleaned.....i was scared to even look at the bed.....to gross......

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2012 via mobile

I can't complain too much on the quality of the rooms as I expected it when booked. But I'm surprised with the cost! More than 80$ for this hotel is way too much. Location is terrible, bed is very uncomfortable and the room poor.

I wouldn't re-book it!

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank simleon
fort wayne Indiana
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2012

If your going to stay here book in advance as a walk in you will be charged as much as a $100.00 per night by booking ahead we got room for $69.00. Not such a good deal at that rate even. Hotel is old needs updating the bed was dirty had to change sheets before we could use it. The pool water was cloudy needed to be serviced. Would not recommend to friend or anyone.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank wltgl
Portland, Maine
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2012 via mobile

It's a travelodge. The rates are not that high. For the relatively low rate you get a clean room and a breakfast. Yes, this is a motel that has probably been built a few decades ago, but they have kept the place up allright. My shower was workimg fine and the bed was comfortable. Breakfast was good - bagels, muffins, cereal, toast, oatmeal, even apples and bananas. Front desk staff was nice and accomodating. I felt safe, mostly bcause it is a pretty busy place and that in a way comforted me. It was qiet at night and I slept well. There is even a pool but i didn't use it. I would stay here again.

Stayed July 2012, traveled solo