“Just OK”

Portland Travelodge
Ranked #21 of 21 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed May 2, 2011

We stayed here for one night back in September 2010. The room was ok, but kind of in a sketchy part of town. Also, we traveled to Portland for sightseeing and it ended up being way farther from downtown than we thought. For the price it was a good deal, no complaints there. All in all, we'll stay somewhere closer to downtown next time we're in Portland.

Room Tip: Inconveniently far from downtown
  • Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 18, 2010

The room was dingy and musty smelling.
The room was clean but both nights we had to go down to the desk to get towels and toilet paper that the cleaning staff forgot to leave. (They won't deliver anything to the room themselves.The desk clerk was very unfriendly and seemed to hate her job. I have never run into unfriendly hotel staff before but their was only one employee here that was friendly and professional. We were really impressed with how friendly and helpfull all the other retail and restaurant personel were in Portland. This Hotel gave us a terrible first and last impression of Portland.There are a lot of other Hotels in this area. I would not stay here again due to its poor management. P.S- they would only give us one roll of toilet paper each night even though there were three of us in the room.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank donMoncton
Reviewed October 16, 2010

We found nothing to recommend this other than convenience and price.
This was motel style accommodation, and our ground level room opened directly to the outside. It also faced the adjacent interstate highway. Soundproofing was poor. Security was questionable and the whole of the accommodation was cramped.
The wash basin was in the main room, not in the bathroom.
If you’re used to UK Travelodges don’t expect anything like the same standard.
It's located about 4 miles from downtown Portland, but convenient for the interstate if that’s what you want.
(One of 8 accommodations reviewed this holiday)

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank RobRobJenJen
Reviewed September 26, 2010

I have stayed at this property a number of times in the past year and never experienced some of the negatives that have been reported to Tripadvisor. It is a standard property and those that expect high-end accommodations should go elsewhere. The staff is friendly and always helpful. The property is clean, freshly painted exterior and interior, and the grounds well-groomed, unlike some other higher priced hotels in the area. A number of families stay here in the summer and commute to Old Orchard Beach. This may account for the reported dirty carpets at that time of year. Some of the rooms now have the added amenity of refrigerators. Had problems with the internet in the late July stay and the front desk phoned the provider, Time Warner, to rectify the problem. Did not have any internet problems in mid-August or this past stay. There is probably nothing the Travelodge can do about the closed gas station in front of it and this property should not be blamed for it. My sole negative is that the a/c is too low and very close to one of the beds in a double room. In closing, this is a good, safe place to stay in the Portland area and is easily reached from I-95. There are higher priced properties just down the road for the those who expect more than the basics.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank David J P
Reviewed August 24, 2010

Travelodge is near downtown Portland, but is much cheaper than staying in a downtown hotel. It's not fancy but clean and a very nice staff. If steps are a problem, ask for a first floor room because there is no elevator.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank Walton_KYDonna
Reviewed August 17, 2010

Upon arriving at this filthy establishment stationed behind an abandoned gas station I couldn't help but think I was arriving at a crime scene. Even so I still had hope that there would be good things lying beneath this rough exterior..... boy was I wrong. I traveled with a large group and we rented out several rooms each room left much to be desired. I will only speak about my experiences even though I fielded several complaints from my group. First there was the issue of the broken toilet. First flush snapped the plastic connecting the inner workings of the toilet to the toilet handle and when I tried to wash my hands the sink clogged immediatly. When I called down to report these malfunctions I was greeted with an 'Are you sure it's broken?' response to my complaints. Little did I know this was just the beginning of a nightmare stay. It took over an hour for anyone to arrive to fix it and when they did come they showed up without tools leading to a much prolonged repair.

Later that day I called the front desk to ask if they had wireless internet the woman on the phone responded by saying 'I don't know' several times in an aggravated manner. I decided I would call back later when a another employee was at the desk. This woman was even more stupid and quite a bit more rude. She answered the phone with a loud sigh and danced around my question about the internet by saying 'It's working for some people.'

Then to top it all off they over charged our whole group. Do not stay at this dump.

• Stayed: August 2010
1  Thank DanGilbert3223
Reviewed August 16, 2010

I brought a group of teens on a trip to Portland, being on a budget we went with the least exspensive place. What mistake. Toilets were broken and when called no one came to fix it. They had to flush the toilet by taking the cover off and pull on the chain. In 7 rooms not one bathroom door would shut because the wood was so swollen. Room # 266 door does not lock even with the dead bolt on. Don't waste your money all you will get for it is frustration. It took my kids a longtime to save for their trip and it kills me that it was ruined by this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2010