“Strikes and gutters, ups and downs.”

La Quinta Inn & Suites Portland
Ranked #16 of 21 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed October 20, 2009

This hotel was an interesting study in contrasts, but overall I was happy with my stay. The most positive things were that the location was pretty good, relatively close to downtown without downtown prices, the carpet was new and clean and the beds were very comfortable. On the other hand, the hallways and elevator were less than impressive, and in one corner of the room, there was a large area of ceiling texture missing. The missing ceiling texture didn't detract from our stay, but it was an odd contrast. In other words, they seemed to be running a three-star place inside a one-star structure. Not bad though, I'd probably stay there again if the price is still right.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with friends

Reviewed October 14, 2009

Rooms were quite large and very clean. Staff was not overly friendly, but okay. Had to drive to restaurants and attractions as there is not much to choose from in the immediate area.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed October 8, 2009

Staff is nice and helpful. My hairdryer didn't work, the night staff couldn't fix it but let me use the one in a vacant room.
Location is a bit far from downtown, if you rely on foot or public transportation, but all is manageable. We used a combination of walking (about 30 min) and the bus.
favorite item of the breakfast: waffle maker!

Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 25, 2009

Our room was on the 4th floor, it was clean (spotless) and a good size.
We used the wi-fi which was fast and the rooms are well sound-proofed as we never heard anyone out in the halls or in other rooms.
I don't know why people say the area is sketchy, yes it's not near anything you'll have to drive, but it certainly wasn't a dangerous area.
Included breakfast was fine, had yogurt an egg and coffee. All I needed.
They appear to be renovating, our room was obviously recently re-done and the 3rd floor was closed off for remodeling.

Reviewed September 20, 2009

The negative reviews gave me pause before booking - I'm sitting in room 410 writing this - we stayed in 402 last week - booked on route to and on the way back from Bar Harbor/Acadia. All desk staff has been friendly and helpful - both rooms have been very clean with new carpet, draperies and wall covering. Size isn't tiny - our black lab isn't petite and his "Canine Camper" crate fits with room to spare. Yes, it would be nice to be downtown and if you want to pay twice as much, go for it - I bet breakfast won't be included. I am gluten free and even I have choices - eggs, yogurt, and fruit (often not the case). Before we had a dog, we only stayed at Homewood Suites and Hampton Inns. We have now stayed at many LaQuinta Inns and this one is tied with Newnan, GA as being the BEST - very, very, nice! We're pretty particular and I don't understand the negative reviews!

Reviewed September 12, 2009

Booked room for two adults via Hotwire as it is somehow listed as a 2 1/2 star rating but upon arrival hotel was full and was given a small 3rd floor room with only one bed directly accross from the elevator. The room itself was small, old and tired. We immediately called Hotwire and asked to be moved to another hotel with two beds - which they did at no additional cost - so we checked-out (Important: if you require two beds always list four adults on Hotwire/Priceline).

The young staff was friendly and polite but the hotel has clearly seen better days. Portland has certainly been hit hard by the current recession and the location is less than desirable with a poorly lit parking lot. In short, this La Quinta might be considered OK for young adults but isn't acceptable for business travel or for families with small children.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed September 9, 2009

My boyfriend and I decided to do a last minute trip to Portland, ME for Labor Day weekend. The La Quinta seemed to be one of the only places left with rooms available so we went for it. The other reviews here made me a little skeptical; sketchy area, not clean, etc, but when we arrived I was pleasently surprised. The man at the front desk welcomed us and was extremely helpful getting us checked in. We got to our room (just a standard room with king bed) and the room was small, but clean and smelled clean. There was only one small window so we didn't get a lot of sunlight in the room, but who cares...you can go outside for sunlight. We even dropped a wine bottle in the hallway and the front desk staff came up right away to clean it up, no problem. Our first night we needed some suggestions on where to go out and the front desk provided us with maps of the area, and any advice they could come up with - thank you!!

The hotel, while not right in downtown, was a $7 cab ride away. AMAZING! Coming from Boston and living just outside the city, this was a dream and totally worth every cent we saved from not getting a hotel room right at the waterfront. All the cab drivers we had were so nice and funny and were so helpful so ask them questions about the area and where to do if you have them! We took the advice for a place to go for drinks and had such an amazing time. Also, the hotel gives you two, $2 off coupons for the cap company they use so ask about them!

I also didn't feel that the area was all that sketchy. Maybe it's because I was coming from Boston, but there was a nice grocery store nearby, a Hood milk factory across the street...I don't understand why people thought the area was sketchy. The hotel was conveniently near the highway to travel outside Portland which we did. I probably wouldn't walk to downtown portland, but only because it's a just too far to do that.

The breakfast was amazing and just want we needed. It's free! Don't complain! The waffles were fun, bagels, toast, hard boiled eggs, cereal, coffee, yogurt - the perfect start to the day when you don't want to spend a ton of money on every meal.

I had to come on here and give this hotel a good review. We had an excellent two night stay there for what we were looking for. Inexpensive, close enough to downtown, clean rooms, and helpful staff. I would definitely recommend this hotel and I have since.

1  Thank Bostontraveler318