“Good Location but Not So Great” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of La Quinta Inn & Suites Portland

La Quinta Inn & Suites Portland
Ranked #14 of 19 Hotels in Portland
North Tonawanda, NY
“Good Location but Not So Great”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2013

We stay at a lot of La Quinta Inns and Suites and find them better than similar chains with similar rates. This one is in a marginal neighborhood, though close to the highway. Walking to restaurants is dicey and there were lapses in service that might be tolerated at the weekly rate, but were not acceptable on the weekend rate that made it one of the most expensive places we've ever stayed. Worn towels, a shampoo cap found in the tub, stained desk chair, room not serviced one day, all indicate lack of attention to detail which is not welcome at any price, but at $150 for a weekend night? Not at all.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank traveler1037

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
New Hampshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2013

Or if you don't mind driving a bit. I'll admit I'm spoiled in that I usually have been able to stay near downtown, however the weekend I stayed here other places were booked. This place was perfectly clean, the staff were fine, and the breakfast is an awesome perk. Just, not the greatest location for a weekend downtown when nobody wants to drive. :-)

The rooms were modern-ish though not extremely cozy or welcoming. Id stay here again if I had to, though its definitely not my first choice in Portland.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2013

Needed a Hotel quick! All Hotels in the entire State of Maine were booked for Labor Day weekend. Hotels.com had rooms available here. Good room. Good service. I stayed for the free breakfast...I always sleep in. But the thought is what counts - If I could only wake up on time! They had my reservation. I've never stayed in a La Quinta before. Have you tried the shampoo? Creamsicle fragrance...I almost had shampoo for dinner! Yumm!

Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
West Des Moines, Iowa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2013

My wife and I decided to spend a couple of days in Portland after spending a week with family in northern Maine. Was not excited about the downtown hotel prices so came across the La Quinta a couple of miles away. Very clean and nice and is really just a short drive to southport. While in Portland my wife and I did a great beer tour and decided to take a cab so we wouldn't have to worry about how much beer we drank. The friendly front desk was able to set it up for us and it was only 8 dollars to get down there and 8 dollars to get back. Well worth the price and ease.

I would stay at this hotel again. The only thing that was a bit of a problem was that breakfast ran our kind of quick but I don't blame the hotel for that. We were on vacation and wanted to sleep late.

Also it is very easy to get to the interstate from the hotel and made our trip down to Boston to catch our plane very easy.

Cheers!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank BeerROx
Boston MA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

Hotels in Portland are amazingly expensive! The Laquinta was the best deal I found, 189 night, with free parking and free breakfast. It was a couple of miles away from downtown but after I factored in the higher rates for hotels in that area, plus the fee for parking, the Laquinta was a much better deal. Cabs to/from the hotel to downtown were approx. $10.00 each way. The room was clean, good size and efficient. We didn't have time to use the pool which was a shame, our room overlooked it and it looked very nice.
We did take advantage of the free breakfast which is what you expect, including the make your own waffle machine which I love. Interaction with the staff was limited but they were all very nice and accommodating.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2013 via mobile

We needed a hotel very last minute during Labor Day Weekend. Not only did La Quinta have rooms available, but they were super flexible when we wanted to upgrade to a "suite" so we could have a bigger bed. The hotel is just out of town, and is way more affordable because of it. We will be back!

• Stayed September 2013
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2013

First, the only thing "hood" about this place is the Hood Dairy plant across the street. After reading reviews I was worried this would be in a seedy area, however it felt safe and I was not worried at all about my car in the lot. It's just in a bit of an industrial area. Our room was mostly clean and nicely appointed. I say mostly because there was some black mold in the tub area, and a pretty active spiderweb going on in the corner of the shower. Also there was some water damage by the window with peeling paint that looked a little gnarly. It suited our needs which was a place to crash for the night after spending some time in the Old Port. The cab to the Old Port was about $7 and the front desk very nicely called one for us. We would stay again for the night when looking for a value friendly Portland hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family