“Worth the money”

La Quinta Inn & Suites Portland
Ranked #14 of 20 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed September 5, 2013

My wife and I decided to spend a couple of days in Portland after spending a week with family in northern Maine. Was not excited about the downtown hotel prices so came across the La Quinta a couple of miles away. Very clean and nice and is really just a short drive to southport. While in Portland my wife and I did a great beer tour and decided to take a cab so we wouldn't have to worry about how much beer we drank. The friendly front desk was able to set it up for us and it was only 8 dollars to get down there and 8 dollars to get back. Well worth the price and ease.

I would stay at this hotel again. The only thing that was a bit of a problem was that breakfast ran our kind of quick but I don't blame the hotel for that. We were on vacation and wanted to sleep late.

Also it is very easy to get to the interstate from the hotel and made our trip down to Boston to catch our plane very easy.

Cheers!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank BeerROx
There are newer reviews for La Quinta Inn & Suites Portland

Reviewed September 3, 2013

Hotels in Portland are amazingly expensive! The Laquinta was the best deal I found, 189 night, with free parking and free breakfast. It was a couple of miles away from downtown but after I factored in the higher rates for hotels in that area, plus the fee for parking, the Laquinta was a much better deal. Cabs to/from the hotel to downtown were approx. $10.00 each way. The room was clean, good size and efficient. We didn't have time to use the pool which was a shame, our room overlooked it and it looked very nice.
We did take advantage of the free breakfast which is what you expect, including the make your own waffle machine which I love. Interaction with the staff was limited but they were all very nice and accommodating.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 2, 2013 via mobile

We needed a hotel very last minute during Labor Day Weekend. Not only did La Quinta have rooms available, but they were super flexible when we wanted to upgrade to a "suite" so we could have a bigger bed. The hotel is just out of town, and is way more affordable because of it. We will be back!

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed August 25, 2013

First, the only thing "hood" about this place is the Hood Dairy plant across the street. After reading reviews I was worried this would be in a seedy area, however it felt safe and I was not worried at all about my car in the lot. It's just in a bit of an industrial area. Our room was mostly clean and nicely appointed. I say mostly because there was some black mold in the tub area, and a pretty active spiderweb going on in the corner of the shower. Also there was some water damage by the window with peeling paint that looked a little gnarly. It suited our needs which was a place to crash for the night after spending some time in the Old Port. The cab to the Old Port was about $7 and the front desk very nicely called one for us. We would stay again for the night when looking for a value friendly Portland hotel.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank BethyB22
Reviewed August 23, 2013

A reservation was made and confirmed through a secondary- Hotels.com, I personally confirmed with the hotel and wrote down the name, date and time when I talked with the hotel. Arrived at hotel waited 10 -15 minutes to only be told no reservation and they could not help me, they called the General manager Tim Hilden and he also said so sorry too bad! I called Hotels.com they found the resrv and called the hotel, however now the hotel was not answering the phone.

I waited in line another 15 minutes and the clerk took care of everyone else that was initially behind me now in front of me because I had to call Hotels.com. I had to ask them to answer the phone, they took care of two more customers and answered the phone only to find out the hotel in fact made the mistake and all that was offered was oh sorry.

I left a message at the desk for the manager, Tim, to call me on Monday, he emailed me saying sorry and to contact him with no phone number or email address to contact him.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
6  Thank DCFed
Reviewed August 20, 2013

Stayed here for one night on our way to Bar Harbor. We chose this hotel due to its dog friendly accommodations. Rooms were adequately clean, good basic breakfast, and staff was very friendly. Good enough for a one night stay. Close to downtown Portland restaurants, had a great dinner at an Irish pub..

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank SparksgirlNy
Reviewed August 14, 2013

On the fringe of town. Basically clean, but run down with next to NO maid service.
And the room smelled of dog.

We stayed there because we were in portland during high, high season ( mid August) , so downtown prices were in the $300/ night range. We just needed a place to sleep and shower. The maid service was awful. Bedspread was put back up over sheets that weren't straightened out, no trash removed, empty coffee cups left on dresser. No wipe down on sink....

Only good thing- taxi service to downtown is about $10 and they're fast. But hotel wont get us back.

Go off season and stay somewhere else

Room Tip: Go to another hotel
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple