“Nice stay....” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #14 of 19 Hotels in Portland
Frederick md
“Nice stay....”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

Was on my way home to Maryland from Nova Scotia and decided to spend 2 nights in Portland. Chose this hotel because of the pet policy (had 2 poodles with me) and the fact that they allow pets and are still a decent clean place... and don't put pet owners in smoking rooms. Yes, they put pet owners near doors and elevators...but what is the harm in that? The rooms are pretty sound proof. Parking is good for a midtown location (though the place is a bit tricky to get into and the entrance from Park Ave should be marked with a bigger sign)
I had a king room and I guess they recently got new mattresses because that thing was the most comfortable pillow top I ever slept on. I didn't want to get out of it. LOL
I will be returning to this hotel... because I joined the LaQuinta rewards program. I have 2 free stays under my travel belt and am working on my 3rd.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Debbie C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Merrimack, New Hampshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

I am rather neutral on this property. A few pros, a few cons. We only stayed over for a night, so I do not have any major complaints. I guess I would say it is good for a quick stop over, but not so much for a destination hotel in Portland. The pros are that the bed was very comfortable, the rooms were quiet, and we had a great sleep. The cons are the room was a bit "tired". The couch was severely stained, and I was a bit creeped out to sit on it without laying a towel down. The desk chair was the same. We did use the pool to cool down as we were staying there during the record breaking heat wave! The pool area was clean, as well as the pool. The free continental breakfast was adequate, but I have seen better. As I started out, ok as a quick stop over, but do not look for any glorious amenities here.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank BLike2Travel
Daytona Beach, FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

A little out of the way from the most popular tourist spots, but does result in a quieter location and free parking. Very friendly staff. We had our little dog with us and had no issues with our pet-friendly room.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank NileCruiser
Syracuse, New York, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

I think most reviewers are accurate in their review of this property. The best words I can use to describe it are decent and sufficient. It's reasonably priced compared to many hotels in Portland, and the location isn't bad at all. It's right down the street from the Portland Sea Dogs baseball stadium, which makes for a nice evening after walking around the Old Port all day. You do need to drive to get to the sights in the Old Port, though, so it may not be a good choice if you don't have a car. The drive isn't far but it's not walkable. Breakfast was very good! They offer waffles, bagels, cereal, hardboiled eggs and muffins, along with coffee and juice. The dining room gets crowded quickly though, so seating can be tight. I thought the people at the front desk were friendly and helpful, and they provided a map as well as suggestions for restaurants and sights. Portland has a ton of fancy restaurants for a city so small.
The room was sufficient. Inside it was definitely smoke-free, but the hallways did have a slight lingering smoke smell. The bed was comfortable and the room had a really nice flat screen TV. One recent review said there weren't refrigerators in the rooms but we had one in ours. The bathroom could use an upgrade. I never understand why some hotels don't have fans in the bathrooms. Overall, I would definitely stay here again. I don't think it's worth paying $100 a night more to say in the waterfront area when you can drive down Congress Street to get there in less than five minutes.

Room Tip: It is pet friendly (like many places in Maine), so expect to see a dog or two lying around in the lo...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank GJC1
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

This was a nice hotel. Reasonable price. They picked us quickly from the airport and the driver was very helpful and a nice guy. Check-in no problem. It didn't seem to be very close for walking to restaurants for us but I looked up a Chinese Restaurant that delivered. We got something with lobster and scallops that was good. It was a couple of blocks away. This hotel was perfect for what we wanted. Rather than rush at night to the relatives further north, we were able to get a rental car away from the airport at about half the price. Enterprise staff was very nice. We will do this again. Definitely.

Room Tip: If noise is a problem, ask for a quiet room. We heard nothing during the night except an occasional...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
dallas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

Good basic clean motel that has a good location just a few miles from the waterfront. Very helpful and service oriented staff. A train is nearby that for light sleepers will be a problem. Sports facilities are nearby that could be a traffic problem on nights of games. Overall very clean and efficiently run.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank boldgo
Westbrook, Maine
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here for two nights on a recent trip to Portland. It was a mixed bag as far as hotels go. Some of the staff members were very friendly and helpful, while others were not. One girl at the front desk in particular really seemed to hate her job and was very unhelpful. The maid staff was also unfriendly. The continental breakfast was pretty decent. It wasn't exceptional, but it was solid and I don't think there was anything about it to complain about. The room was also middling. The bed was actually quite comfortable, one of the better hotel beds I have stayed in. However, the bathroom was not great. The toilet had absolutely no suction, and you often had to flush it three times in order to get it to flush. In fact, it was so bad that we had to order a plunger from the front desk. The shower was okay, neither great nor awful. The room seemed to be kept fairly clean. There were no refrigerators in the rooms, and the rooms had a slight odor to them. The location of the hotel was excellent, with great access to downtown Portland and the two Portland sports teams. Of course, that was also a bit of a disadvantage, because the hotel sells their extra parking spaces for baseball parking, and so parking can be an issue during baseball games. Overall, you get what you pay for, and this is a distinctly average hotel.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple