“Perfectly Nice”

La Quinta Inn & Suites Portland
Ranked #14 of 20 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Newly renovated rooms go along way. The lobby and building are bland and typical. The location is fine. But at least the room was new and nicely put together. The bed and linens were fresh and comfortable.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for La Quinta Inn & Suites Portland

Reviewed June 29, 2013

Our stay in La Quinta was fine. No issues except in regards to advertising a shuttle service which does not take you to the historic area. So you either have to catch a bus, walk 2+ miles or drive. We did bus when raining and walking when sunny. The breakfast is pretty good - a step up from basic continental with boiled eggs, yoghurts and waffles. Staff are nice too.
Overall the room is non descript and very standard and it is clean.

Room Tip: You have to ask for extras like luggage stand, fridge and micro when you book.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Dianna C
Reviewed June 29, 2013

We moved here from the B&B we had for three of our four nights in Portland because the B&B had already been booked the fourth night. It was within walking distance (all downhill) from the B&B. I called the desk to see if we could check in early AM, and they said we could.

The room was standard, clean, and ok; not as fancy as the B&B, of course, which didn't cost that much more. But, for one night, and because they provided transportation to the nearby bus and train depot, it was fine.

The clerk directed us to the closest Portland Transit bus stop to take us to the hub of the tourist areas. It was 95 degrees that day and riding a bus is a great way to see a city and avoid an uphill walk.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank indrablanco
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Everything about this hotel was up to par. Can't say enough about how good the staff was. Some contractors were going around updating the lock devices on every door. We came back from a visit downtown and couldn't get in to our room. After the front desk looked into it, the contractors realized they had made a mistake with our door lock and ended up having to drill a hole into our door. We were inconvenienced for about 30-45 mins, but Tyler at the desk credited our account without me having to ask and everything worked out fine. The rest of the staff was wonderful, the breakfast was good, WiFi was strong, rooms were clean, and we enjoyed being able to walk to the Sea Dogs game. Would stay again.

A La Quinta traveler
Brewer, Maine, USA
Reviewed June 22, 2013

Reviewed June 18, 2013

We've stayed at several different La Quinta Inns. One was new and nice and the others were older, slightly shabby, but clean. The staff at this La Quinta was very nice. I arrived early, the check-in person had my room made up and it was ready within 15 mins. I had a smoking, pet friendly king bed room. Upon entering the room, I first noticed the cheap faux wood floor in the entry/sink area. It was understandably damp and smelled strongly of cleaner. When the floor dried, it was sticky to walk on. Next was the LOUD humming of the refrigerator. The outlet was behind the dresser so I couldn't unplug it, though maybe I could have turned it off inside? Next up was the desk chair. It was mustard yellow mesh with a 10 inch long, dark, disgusting triangular shaped stain. I didn't even want to think about what caused that stain. The vinyl covered reclining chair arms were very dusty in a not very difficult to reach area of the chair. The bed made loud spring noises and was very soft. The room smelled of (dog?) urine and disinfectant. I opened the window to try and air it out which turned off the A/C. It took 30 minutes or more for the A/C to start working again. It was hot in Portland, about 85 degrees. My little pug found a pill next to the bed on the floor. Thank goodness he didn't eat it. I looked it up and it was some sort of muscle relaxant, which probably would have made him very sick had he eaten it. I laid down for a nap and for about 45 minutes I kept hearing what sounded like someone tossing glass into a glass filled garbage bag. It must have been the housekeeping staff, though why they had to be so noisy I can't imagine. I woke up from the nap, fed the dogs, gathered our stuff and left. I couldn't stand to be in that room for another moment. I rated the property 3 out of 5 because the staff was very nice, the lobby was clean and I'm assuming from the other reviews of this hotel that I was unlucky to have a bad experience.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Easiest
A TripAdvisor Member
Plymouth, New Hampshire, USA
Reviewed June 12, 2013

Great value for the price! We were greeted by a friendly staff at the front desk. They were knowledgeable about the area and were able to answer all our questions. The room was clean and comfortable and our dog was able to travel with us.