“Great Stay”

Ranked #15 of 21 Hotels in Portland
A TripAdvisor Member
Northport, Maine, USA
Reviewed April 9, 2013

I did not have any bad experience staying at this hotel. I would highly recommend this hotel (at least at the location we were at as I'm sure this varies from location to location) to anyone. I am VERY picky about hotel stays and I read a ton of reviews about each place before I decide, I had heard from friends this place wasn't bad. I give this hotel a very high rating which I don't give out lightly.

The rooms were VERY clean and kept as well as the lobby. You could tell ALL the bedding had been washed and dried as it had that nice crisp clean feeling to it like when you line dry your clothes in the summer. We were only there one (1) night as we were in the area for a concert so I am unsure how well the rooms are kept with a multiple night stay but I'm sure it would be good.

The only thing I will say about the room though was when we first arrived the room was VERY hot and the heat was up to 72 degrees (granted it was early spring but it wasn't that cold). So when we first got there we needed to turn the heat down. Other than that the room was great.

The staff was very nice, helpful, and informative. Check-in and check-out were super quick and easy with no hassle.

As we were only there one (1) night we didn't use the pool so I am unsure about this area of the hotel and we also didn't attend the breakfast. But if those things are anything like the rest of the hotel I'm sure they don't disappoint.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed April 7, 2013

We made our reservation with Caesar for a king, non-smoking room three days before arriving on Friday. We had a very early flight to catch on Saturday so we felt this would be a good fit, as the hotel is close to the Portland Airport and shuttle service was available.
Upon arriving we found the front desk clerk very helpful in checking us in. That was the end of our good experience....
We stepped off the elevator on the 4th floor and were met with a very heavy cigarette smell in the hall. Our room, 424, was no better. The room reeked of stale cigarette smoke and when we called down to the front desk for a room change, we were told that the only room available was a "non-smoking full" room.
We opted to stay in 424 as we had to be up in six hours to get back to the airport. Opening the window, running the fan and even spraying my wife's cologne on the bed did little to cut the cigarette smell - it seemed to be infused on everything, including the towels and wash cloths.
The bed linen seemed clean, but like everything else in the room, smelled terrible. I was even wondering at one point if they had even been changed prior to our arrival.
I had taken a shower prior to bed and noted a large blood stain on the shower curtain.
I got up at 3am, about an hour earlier than I needed to in order to take another shower. I kept my clean clothes hung up so they wouldn't touch anything and smell like smoke when I put them on.
The cigarette smell was just one issue. There was a constant traffic of people going up and down the halls, laughing, talking, doors slamming and a loud radio from a room. This continued until we checked out.
We made it down to the front desk at 4:45am to pick up the 5:00am shuttle to the airport. The night clerk, Cheryl, was coughing and complaining about the cigarette smoke smell on the 4th floor. (She was in the hall near our room using the cell phone when we left the room).
It took some time to check out due to a phone issue the front desk was experiencing. Cheryl was attempting to remedy the problem.
Prior to our leaving we told her that we were not happy with the room, as we had booked a king, non-smoking a few days earlier. Her response was, "You are guaranteed a room, you are not guaranteed a specific type. If you have any concerns you can contact the manager...." She then pointed to the manager's stack of business cards on the counter. Really?
It seemed to be an automatic response by her as well. No apologies, no discount for the problem, nothing.
She did, however, point out the coffee and fresh muffins that were available......
I don't have a problem with people smoking. It is their own business. With that said, it seems this establishment can do a better job at keeping smokers separate from the non-smokers.
When smoke smell is so bad that their own employees are being affected by it, then there is a problem.
It is unfortunate, as this La Quinta seems to be very clean and inviting when you step in to the lobby.
On our next trip to Portland we will spend the extra money and stay elsewhere.
Time to toss the clothes I wore at the La Quinta into the washer. I can still smell the cigarette smoke....

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Keith S
Reviewed April 5, 2013

Just stayed on April 4th and we were very pleased. Great price, clean, centrally located and a good breakfast in morning. Staff were by helpful and even had a restaurant selection that proved to be extremely helpful. Would definitely stay at this property again without hesitation.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
A La Quinta traveler
Grafton
Reviewed April 3, 2013

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 3, 2013

Our family has stayed at this La Quinta many times-- previously, I think it was a Fairfield Inn. The quality has always been at least acceptable: clean, no frills, just good basic accommodations. (They accept guests with pets-- a big plus for those traveling with Fido or Miss Kitty.) The other reviews, I think, are correct: there's plenty of hot water, the beds are reasonably comfortable, and the TVs are good and hooked up to cable. One downside is the "heating units" that are in the rooms (and that are typical in many hotels/motels). They're noisy and seem to have trouble maintaining the "sweet spot" of not too hot, not too cool. But these units are good enough, and you can get a night's sleep without any trouble. This La Quinta is basic, but you'll have a clean place to stay, with good service on the desk, a free "breakfast" with coffee in the morning, and you won't break the bank. You can use the money you save by eating good seafood or ethnic food (Thai!), visiting the Portland Museum of Art, watching the Seadogs play, or seeing a movie. Portland is a great town, well worth visiting.

Room Tip: Higher rooms on the front of the hotel are a better choice. The breakfast room is usually crowded i...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MontpelierGuy
Reviewed April 1, 2013

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed March 25, 2013

We stay at the La Quinta several times a year - on our way to the Portland Jetport, on our way back from a trip via the Jetport, or to see the Portland Sea Dogs AA minor league team in nearby Hadlock Field. The place is conveniently located, has an airport shuttle, a park-and-fly option, and reasonable prices. The staff is wonderful - helpful and friendly. All rooms are pretty much the same, reasonably sound proof, and in very good condition considering this is not a very new facility. Bathrooms are clean, if small, and all facilities are in working order - water is hot and the showerheads are good. Stay often enough, and the staff knows you prefer a full-sized coffee maker and a room away from the elevator. They also greet you by name, and have your reservation ready when you arrive. Breakfast is free but basic for a La Quinta: cereals, make your own waffles, hard boiled eggs.

Room Tip: Upstairs (floors 3 and 4) have less street noise; front or back makes no difference.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple