“nice stay”

Ranked #14 of 20 Hotels in Portland
Sherbrooke, Canada
“nice stay”
Reviewed March 9, 2013

This was my first time to portland, but I will say that La Quinta is a vary nice hotel to stay at. The price was good for a three star (its cheaper during the winter) and the room was well kept. We were travelling with my dog and i still found that the stay was very easy. They do have a rule that if you do not have a kennel then the roomkeepers will not clean your room (for their safety) which I found very reasonable, and so i took a kennel. The hotel is very quiet, the room was clean and the front staff was very helpful with which restaurants to eat at and where to go. My boyfriend enjoyed the flat screen TV with very good sound. Choices for breakfast were pretty average based on what i have experienced at other hotels, cereal, muffins, bagels, toast and a make your own waffel machine.
I will most definitely stay at this hotel again when i visit Portland, its about a 30 min walk from the old port which is nice. The only complaint that I would have about the hotel is the area in which it it is in. When walking my dog at night, there are not many street lights or people walking around and so I would be very careful and not walk alone.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
Saint John, Canada
Reviewed February 14, 2013

I've stayed at various hotels in Maine, several in Portland. The prices range and the quality remains the same regardless for the places I've chosen. They are all pretty good at what they do. They are clean. The staff is friendly and helpful. The check-in/out process is simple. I decided to take a chance and book below my typical price range at La Quinta the night before my first overnight trip my fiance and I have taken since having our now 17 month old boy.

I called the hotel the night before and the female on the other end of the line was really nice and suggested the extra money for just one night was not worth the extra money for the suite. I will, however, consider the suite if we travel with our child or a friend or two.

When we arrived, the front desk clerk was away from the desk but another employee knew enough of the computer system to get us our room in just a few more minutes than a normal check-in would take. No big deal. She was really nice and was transparent about the situation - all that anyone needs to be. It's also good to see staff here know enough about the overall operation that they can chip in when required.

Our room, on the second floor had a very high standard of cleanliness, but not immaculate. The toilet, sink, and shower were all very functional and clean. The desk chair and lounge chair were both comfortable enough. The lounge chair was a bit noisy getting in and out as it was vinyl.

I have to say that this is a first for me but I have not been in a hotel in the last couple of years because of the baby - the hotel had real HD! Almost 40 channels in pure 16:9 HD! One of my biggest complaints over the years staying at hotels with flat screen TVs is that they always had stretched 4:3 SD TV.

The bed was great. Not as comfortable as my home bed but I really thought it was up there with other hotels I've enjoyed. The sheets and pillows were also of the same quality.

The truths you need to know about this hotel are that it is near a railroad track. You will hear the trains moving around if you're in the back of the building like we were. I am not sure what you'll hear if you're in the front. I really was not bothered by this but for some people who are sensitive, this is for you.

Portland just had a bit drop of snow so sidewalks were not in great shape. Had they been, or had it been not winter, the hotel is well within walking distance of Congress St and the bars, restaurants, Civic Centre, and State Theatre.

I'll book this hotel again without hesitation in the future.

Room Tip: Front of the hotel, rather than the back could prevent some train noise. Personally, I liked hearing...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank danj
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 7, 2013

This was my first stay at a La Quinta Hotel. It was a very pleasant experience to say the least. All aspects of my stay were extremely pleasurable with nothing to spark a hint of a complaint. I must particularly mention the extreme comfort with which I slept throughout the entire nite. The staff was extremely professional and courteous. The food was fresh and well served. Check in and out was efficiently handled and I couldn't say anything less. I only stayed one nite as I was in Portland for a funeral. I will now look for La Quintas when I travel in the future to address my needs of a stayover.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
North Dartmouth, Massachusetts, USA
Reviewed January 26, 2013

Great location easy access to highway. Rooms were quiet, staff friendly, breakfast was well stocked with good variety for being included with the room rate.
I find all LaQuinta Inns to be the go to place to stay. Have another trip planned in February 2013 - can't wait to go.
Keep up the good work LaQuinta!!!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Portland, Maine
Reviewed January 22, 2013

Stayed here after a concert in downtown Portland and then early morning flight. Very convenient location, clean and quiet. Was also impressed by the friendly woman who checked us out. She even graciously offered us the option of getting us some muffins, even though we left before breakfast was set up.

Room Tip: I felt more comfortable on other than a ground floor.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Hamilton
Reviewed December 22, 2012

I travel between Canada and USA occasionally and I always stay at this location if possible. The price is right, the place is clean, the service is good, and the included breakfast was excellent. No problems connecting to the free Wi-Fi.

All in all a good choice.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family